The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver Labs?

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    I Dunno…I've seen lots of early photos of supposed "yellow" and/or fox red Labradors and they all look silver to me

Amy Dahl
    LOL, yes, the black and white does lend that tint to them, no doubt.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    LOL, yes, the black and white does lend that tint to them, no doubt.

Ahhh, Kim, you beat me to it!!!
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    the problem with allowing silver dogs to be registered is that in a few years they will be throughout the gene pool . Well meaning breeders , who have NO interest in producing silvers will have silvers appearing in their lines. Maybe we should go back to culling puppies that don't meet the standard.

Oh God!!! Now you did it......even suggesting culling on this forum will get the mini van driving owners with their clickers at your door step with pitch forks ! I would hide if I were you, JMHO

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    Oh God!!! Now you did it......even suggesting culling on this forum will get the mini van driving owners with their clickers at your door step with pitch forks ! I would hide if I were you, JMHO
    Honest to goodness, I've read 3 threads today and in each one of them you show up complaining about some form of "piling on" on this forum. We get it.... you felt wronged for some reason. But you don't need to bring it up in every post.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

My question would be that if the dd is from Weins it's not the only gene from them that was imported; thus if you DNA map the Silver they should have more than one suspect gene; a bit of testing on this and it would be solved where it came from gets rid of the whole pure bred Lab argument. Yet I haven't seen this being done which brings up the suspect of whether the gene was there originally, and not locked as believed. The E-a gene is much the same way, it was believed to be locked, however a few black and tan and brindle labs pop-up every once in awhile, (heaven forbid that gets out, or we'll have more lab colors than we know what to do with ) Only I've seen the testing on them, to prove purebred status; and such pups were sold Limited registration, the breeding never repeated, which is what should've happend when the Sliver coloration popped up. A proper breeder would've investigated and prevented a disqualifying trait from spreading.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-10-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

What people are failing to mention about fox red is that they have the same color makeup as a white lab or a yellow lab. It is not different than having light blonde or dark blonde hair. The dogs that are silver contain a totally different gene from the regular chocolate color.

Quote Originally Posted by Takem_brewer View Post
    What people are failing to mention about fox red is that they have the same color makeup as a white lab or a yellow lab. It is not different than having light blonde or dark blonde hair. The dogs that are silver contain a totally different gene from the regular chocolate color.
    This analogy doesn't fit the point you're trying to make. In both cases, white or fox red vs. yellow and silver vs. chocolate, the genes we usually associate with the color are present (ee and bb respectively) but the expressed color is also affected by genes at other loci (other positions in the genome). IOW in this sense the different shades falling under "yellow" are equivalent to the different shades registered as "chocolate."

Amy Dahl

I will occasionally look here during the winter when it -20 here but if I got time to post thousand of times like many wouldn't have anytime to train or hunt my just talk about doing it.
    Maybe with this warm up you can get back to training and stop posting the "poor me" stuff.
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

It doesn't take much to stir the pot on RTF, seems most get bent out of shape about most anything here. New people get attacked without mercy and then like a pack of wolves the rest join in for the kill. When I first found out abut this forum I posted an honest question about a HRC hunt test. It was an honest question not a bitch. Well...the wolves came out and just attacked since then don't really give a sh....t what most think. Seems this is the MO they do to most new people. This isn't all, so not directed at the few who don't do this, but most do.

I will occasionally look here during the winter when it -20 here but if I got time to post thousand of times like many wouldn't have anytime to train or hunt my just talk about doing it.

So to answer your question,,,don't care.
    Well now you are just being silly. Few RTFers will sacrifice hunting or training time to post here! That's what work is for!

I do not remember the thread of which you speak, in which you, as a virgin RTFer were attacked. I looked through your old posts and could not find it. I am sorry that happened to you, that is not right.

Meanwhile I have noticed posts by you in which virgin RTFers ask for training advice, and you give them ugly opinions about their dogs. You declare that you would not feed such dogs.

Wow.

Rule number 1: don't insult someone's dog.

Carry on...
    Renee P

Same as the silvers. On one end of the spectrum you have Pewter a dark, less expensive silvery color and On the other end you have platinum which is a light but rich savory color
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus