The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver Labs?

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    The only leg silver breeders have to stand on now is the selling point of "AKC registered" without that piece of paper ,buyers might start raising an eyebrow when a breeder says "purebred labs for sale" $1500. the add would read more like "free to good home ,lab mix".
    pipe dream. folks already pay $1500 for labradoodles with no papers or puggles or any of the other fads.

I would expand that to include breeding for ANY trait without maintaining the overall breed standard.

Most of the "purists" Prolly don't like that though cause you know that 50lb curly tailed dog can WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Towler View Post
    "Any time color supersedes performance, health and temperament, we have a problem for the gene pool IMHO."

Very True, I would expand that to include just breeding for overall look.
    I would expand that to include breeding for ANY trait without maintaining the overall breed standard.

Most of the "purists" Prolly don't like that though cause you know that 50lb curly tailed dog can WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by gdluck View Post

Maybe I am just worn out from working 7 days a week for months. I just don't understand. Your comment about a curly tailed dog. It's already been established on this thread that silver labs have a DNA problem. If you want to have a discussion in regard to that lab standard with me. Please use your real name, not an alias .I have made it as clear as I can, (to the point of having some show people who I like stop talking to me) that I cannot support that lab standard, if what I see in the how ring represents that document.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Towler View Post
    Maybe I am just worn out from working 7 days a week for months. I just don't understand. Your comment about a curly tailed dog. It's already been established on this thread that silver labs have a DNA problem. If you want to have a discussion in regard to that lab standard with me. Please use your real name, not an alias .I have made it as clear as I can, (to the point of having some show people who I like stop talking to me) that I cannot support that lab standard, if what I see in the how ring represents that document.
    Should have been spelled show (instead of how)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Beil View Post
    However, there is more than just breeding for color that folks take issue with. The breed is defined, and part of that definition is color. There is no allowance for silver or charcoal or grey or blue or green labs. There's also no allowance for a long haired curly version. When folks start intentionally trying to add in their little designed elements, and when dogs displaying or carrying those characteristics then get registered as AKC labs, then you end up with those characteristics in the gene pool, or more commonly in the gene pool. If the breed standard specifically states that the color is disqualifying, then folks shouldn't be trying to breed for it. If that's what someone wants to do, they should create their own breed instead of misleading people and damaging the existing breed. It's just not good practice to specifically target and breed FOR disqualifying traits. The breed can't be everything for everyone.

Bottom line, if it can be proven that there is Weimeraner blood in there on those labs, then they're not purebred labs at all. But that's secondary to the main point that it's still a disqualifying trait, and if you want to breed and register labs as pure bred labs, that's not something that should be your goal.
    Best post on this thread!!

Bottom line, the Labrador has had a closed registry for many years. So it really doesn't matter if the dilute gene was "discovered" or fraudulently introduced via the Lab/weim crosses rumored to be involved in the plethora of silver Labs we have today. Dilute colors may have existed at one point but they were bred out. Who are these people promoting something differing from the standard? Any of them ever competed a purebred dog in any event or been a member of a breed or other dog club? (((eye roll))) What's next, curly tails, brindle and piebald coats, pointy ears? With as many breeds of dogs as there are, if you want a silver coat or a brindle or a black and white spotted dog, there are breeds that have those.

Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    With as many breeds of dogs as there are, if you want a silver coat or a brindle or a black and white spotted dog, there are breeds that have those.

[/SIZE]
    This brings up the problem on the other side. None of those other breeds is a Lab. They don't have the lab's forgiving response to training mistakes and high pressure, and they don't have the extraordinary bite inhibition and adaptability of a Lab. A lot of people want to be different, to get attention for having a dog that isn't what everyone else has. Regrettably, some of those will get a Chesapeake, which can turn out badly for dog and owner.

Some will get Flatties or "doodles" or something else that won't be as trainable or high achieving as a Lab.

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Even if AKC said "no more registering silver as chocolate", what's to stop the breeders from doing it anyway?
    Breeders are already doing that.No where on the an AKC register have I seen check here for silver. So to put it in a nut shell. The people that are breeding silvers and calling them chocolate labs are just flat out liars. Nice...that's real honest and ethical.
    The person or people I feel sorry for are the low information people buying the silver mutt, thinking they're getting a pure bred lab. And they're getting ripped off. And what else are these breeders lieing about hips, eyes, elbows ects????????
    It's just shaddy and unethical.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    This brings up the problem on the other side. None of those other breeds is a Lab. They don't have the lab's forgiving response to training mistakes and high pressure, and they don't have the extraordinary bite inhibition and adaptability of a Lab. A lot of people want to be different, to get attention for having a dog that isn't what everyone else has. Regrettably, some of those will get a Chesapeake, which can turn out badly for dog and owner.

Some will get Flatties or "doodles" or something else that won't be as trainable or high achieving as a Lab.

Amy Dahl
    Amy, These aren't purebred labs. So the people buying these dogs aren't getting a pure lab to begin with.
    Have you ever seen or trained one of these silver dogs. I have, they're a nice dog for the couch, but these silver dogs aren't labs. In my opinion these dogs lack a lot of what a good pure black, yellow or chocolate have. Which is trainablity and drive.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

My point is this: Currently, AKC considers silver a shade of chocolate, which it is not, and allows silvers to be registered as chocolate. So, suppose AKC were to change their status and not allow silvers to be registered as chocolate any longer....how would AKC know that all chocolates registered really are chocolate, and that silver breeders weren't continuing to register them as such? They would have to inspect every chocolate puppy registered. Really, as it stands now, you could register a yellow as black and AKC wouldn't know it wasn't (not that I can imagine anybody wanting to do such a thing, but there's no way for AKC to know what color a dog really is when its registered. It's all the honor system, and therein lies the failure.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith