The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver Labs?

do silver labs and fools gold fit in the same category?
    I ignore stupidity unless you bring it to my attention!
    Crystal Coast Labradors

CCL Return To Sender
    N Sana Te

What I want to know is, has one of these dilute dogs ever titled in AKC or HRC hunt tests?

Rainy day, nothing to do but get caught up in a seemingly endless thread on RTF.
    But this quote, or a variation, kept popping up: "Currently, AKC considers silver a shade of chocolate, which it is not, and allows silvers to be registered as chocolate."
    My understanding - pls correct me if I'm wrong - was that AKC does not recognize or consider silver as an acceptable color for labs but folks breeding these dogs are checking the chocolate box. And, since no photos or DNA tests are required, bingo, the pups are registered in the AKC book - as chocolate. That's deception and should be grounds for being bounced from the AKC is it not?
    Secondly, what bozo pays a premium for a "silver" lab that says "chocolate" on the papers?

I've judged a few of these dogs, only in JH. They did not look like labs but had the narrow muzzle, ears ,eyes and the gait of Weimaraners. Never saw one that could pass a junior HT.
    As H. L. Mencken said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Quote Originally Posted by lucas View Post
    What I want to know is, has one of these dilute dogs ever titled in AKC or HRC hunt tests?
    And the answer is yes (thanks to my friend CT for finding it), Carolina's Silver Smoke MH

and for the person who asked about health clearnaces, here's a whole page from one kennel. They even proudly display the coat color genetics (DD, Dd, and dd)
    http://www.lavishlabs.com/lavishlabs...s%20page3.html

The OFA has agreed to maintain a data base of Labradors who have been permanently identified (microchip or tattoo ) and have been tested for the d gene. Dogs having the genotype dd will be listed as affected, Dd as carriers of the dilute gene and DD as clear of the dilute gene.

This test can be done through Vet Gen. This test is easily done with a cheek swab. If not already up, this data base will be going up soon with a list of Labradors that test either clear, carriers, or affected. If you test more than one Lab at a time, there is a price discount. This is another tool to use with regard to breeding decisions.

Glenda

And the answer is yes (thanks to my friend CT for finding it), Carolina's Silver Smoke MH

and for the person who asked about health clearnaces, here's a whole page from one kennel. They even proudly display the coat color genetics (DD, Dd, and dd)
    If they are so proud of their lines, where are the pedigrees so people can verify the health testing data, and lineage? Anyone can state anything on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    If they are so proud of their lines, where are the pedigrees so people can verify the health testing data, and lineage? Anyone can state anything on the internet.
    Are these dogs even AKC registered? All I see are UKC titles, something called "International" champs. Are these real meaningful titles? Just curious.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I have seen photos of one that is titled as a Lab, it has it own Facebook page and it looks remarkably like a Weim/cross.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Are these dogs even AKC registered? All I see are UKC titles, something called "International" champs. Are these real meaningful titles? Just curious.
    The Intl CH group is IABCA and they will accept UKC paperwork if I remember correctly. Interesting thing about the ones that I noticed being Intl CH, they are not "affected" dilutes. Nor would they or should they pass judging critiques as the FCI (European) standard is used in their judging. IABCA is not "competitive" as a venue, rather some of us use them as a means to get written critiques on our dogs. As w/ all venues, some judges are better studied on the standard than others. I had one that told me my one girl's muzzle was too long, also her legs and tail. She obviously had not studied the proportions very well, rather was putting up what was in vogue in the AKC ring.

I'll admit it's a better site than most I've seen cratering to any different type of Labrador, I applaud any breeder for health testing and listing clearance in their dogs, but as the dogs are not listed with registered names, it's impossible to look up-check health clearances, performance records, or pedigrees to ensure what is stated on a website is on the up and up. Pedigrees not being listed is interesting in itself. Now the UKC show Championship stuff (if true) should be easy to look up, one would only have to go through show results, then you could find a dogs name, and gain access to most anything; but if one is trying to appear respectable (novelty breeder or not), it is much better to have all these things easy to find with links, numbers etc. on your web-page.

I find the new OFA database interesting, I wonder how many will actually test their dogs, I also wonder if in a few years if we will start to see if the dd are indeed hidden in distinctly different lines of Labs. I assume it'll be treated like the black and tan/ brindle color tests, most Labrador breeders won't test for those unless they've produced an odd ball pup, then they test to ensure they don't produce it again; and to weed it out of their lines.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 05-16-2014 at 02:00 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)