The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: Silver Labs?

Or a labweiner

Quote Originally Posted by adrieni View Post
    If you think I'm full of it, pick up a textbook on genetics or evolutionary biology. Every topic I've discussed, including the establishment of a baseline for research comparison, is covered as part of standard education for biology students. Personally, when I took the course we used Evolution By Douglas J. Futuyma 2nd edition and Genetics: A conceptual approach by Benjamin A. Pierce 4th edition. The bottom line, we don't have enough information to verify this one way or another. Until we do, which isn't likely unless someone wants to start a fund to sequence the genomes of all officially recognized Labrador lines, neither argument can be validated.
    Your schooling is not pertinent to this thread. Bottom line as has already been stated MANY times: it doesn't matter where the dilution gene came from. Yes it's possible that some of the background dogs bred to Labs in the early history of the breed had it, some of their ancestors were also black & tan, curled tails (Norwegian elkhound) etc., but for over 100 years the expression of dilute colors is a trait that has been expressly selected AGAINST by the parent club. Not because it's thought to come from Weim crosses (although most knowledgeable people think it did, since its existence was virtually unheard of before the Weim & Lab breeder Crist Culo started peddling his dilutes 30 years ago. Hence it's a disqualification. Further--there is no one of any consequence in Labradordom breeding them except beginner know it alls that see a quick buck.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Your schooling is not pertinent to this thread. Bottom line as has already been stated MANY times: it doesn't matter where the dilution gene came from. Yes it's possible that some of the background dogs bred to Labs in the early history of the breed had it, some of their ancestors were also black & tan, curled tails (Norwegian elkhound) etc., but for over 100 years the expression of dilute colors is a trait that has been expressly selected AGAINST by the parent club. Not because it's thought to come from Weim crosses (although most knowledgeable people think it did, since its existence was virtually unheard of before the Weim & Lab breeder Crist Culo started peddling his dilutes 30 years ago. Hence it's a disqualification. Further--there is no one of any consequence in Labradordom breeding them except beginner know it alls that see a quick buck.
    Damn Gurl you is smokin! Labradordom?????
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Jeffrey, to add a bit to that: There are CH/MH dogs out there...not a ton, but some. They earned their CH under judges who will put up a moderately built dog rather than rewarding extremes. There is also a level of fault that lies with some field breeders who don't look at structure and instead breed for what will win in their venue. Competition....on both the show and field side...tends to split a breed because of the extremes that result, and both sides say that blue ribbons make their dogs look just fine. If it wins, it gets to reproduce...and the cycle goes on.
    . Wish there was a like button
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

Personally, the best lab I've owned to date had a mismark white patch on his chest.
    A white patch on the chest is not a mismark. It is allowed by the Lab standard had you bothered to actually read it.

These are mismarks http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/mismarks.html
    ​Laura

Can Ch UGRCH URO2 SHR Kelrobin Black Minx RA JH CD WC CGCA BN Can RN PCD CGN WC CD

adrieni

The white patch is still considered not desirable by the breed standard. That is the point I was trying to make with that.

but it is mentioned in the standard as being acceptable, whereas it describes only three colors.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

The white patch is still considered not desirable by the breed standard. That is the point I was trying to make with that.
    So since you cant get anywhere with your silver sales pitch ,your reduced down to picking at the occasional white spot ?!
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

not very good at making your point are you?
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I have yet to see a silver win or run at a trial or hunt test, for that matter I have yet to see even a picture of a silver with a bird in it's mouth!
    Silver breeders are shameless cross breeders that see a buck and want to exploit it! The silver breeders are mills that don't give a damn about health, performance or improvement of the Labrador breed. They are in the business to sell trendy people an exotic! Sell it as a weimerlab or laberiner, but don't try to ruin the gene pool of the greatest breed of dog in history! Have some shame and think of those that breed, train and run truly great dogs, we do this out of passion not just to make money!

The Weim, is a great dog in it own right, that being said I would put a GSP, Llewellyn, English Setter, Field Red or English Pointer against a Weim in the field any day!