The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: Silver Labs?

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is that no silvers EVER show up when breeders aren't expecting them. They only show up when breeders try to get them.
    Mike Peters

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post
    Who he? What axe he grind?

The cost quoted for a DNA test is JAWAG, but whatever it is it won't be cheap, and if it really is conclusive those are exactly the reasons why the breeders in the show / designer dog fraternity won't play ball. Why pay good money to prove their dogs aren't qualified for competition, or aren't genuine Labs? The implication is that it will be left to the working dog fraternities on both sides of the pond to take "unofficial" action, just as we do with health issues. I have deep sentiments of no enthusiasm for the Kennel Club, they are a millstone round the neck of the sporting breeds, and I hereby predict that in ten years time the business of "silver" Labs (in the UK at any rate) will be in just exactly the same fine mess as it is now. Having said that I find no evidence of the b******s putting in a appearance here; no one is advertising them.

Eug
    http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/pres...rable-colours/
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peters-labguy23 View Post
    The biggest thing that sticks out to me is that no silvers EVER show up when breeders aren't expecting them. They only show up when breeders try to get them.

Excellent point.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by adrieni View Post
    The white patch is still considered not desirable by the breed standard. That is the point I was trying to make with that.

But it IS allowed, unlike the silver color. My pick bitch out of my last litter had a white patch on her chest. I show in conformation as well as doing obedience and field with my Labs. I have no trouble keeping one with white on its chest since it's allowed by the breed standard. I'm not sure what standard you are reading, but Labs only come in 3 colors, black, yellow and chocolate, and a white patch is allowed.

If you're trying to make a point, you're making a piss-poor one.
    ​Laura

Can Ch UGRCH URO2 SHR Kelrobin Black Minx RA JH CD WC CGCA BN Can RN PCD CGN WC CD

I've never seen a "Silver Lab" with the kind expression, or slight look of sadness a real Labrador has.. No disrespect meant to anyone who owns a Silver... they are ugly dogs...
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

There is no such thing as a s----- L--. Every time someone says or writes s----- L-- as if it's something real, my head starts to hurt. Why legitimize it by talking about it as if it's a "thing"?

Let it go,
    Let it GO!

The only reason I'm posting on this s-----L-- thread is because I have a really strong record as a thread killer.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

I am not trying to stir the pot.

I was telling a friend about this thread and basically telling him to not get a silver lab if he ever had the idea to do so. He asked "for the normal pet owner that doesn't care to compete or anything with the dog, what does it matter? Lots of people adopt or buy non purebred dogs"

What do y'all say to that? I told him that it just dilutes the breed standard and it's not right to register a non purebred dog as a purebred lab.

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post

I was telling a friend about this thread and basically telling him to not get a silver lab if he ever had the idea to do so. He asked "for the normal pet owner that doesn't care to compete or anything with the dog, what does it matter? Lots of people adopt or buy non purebred dogs"

What do y'all say to that? I told him that it just dilutes the breed standard and it's not right to register a non purebred dog as a purebred lab.
    I would ask if he likes doing business with scam artists and enjoys overpaying fraudsters for something that isn't authentic. How much would he like to pay for a fake Rolex and why would he line the pockets of the counterfeit artist? If he wants to adopt a "silver lab" OR ANY OTHER MIXED BREED DOG from a pound/rescue that would be great but to line the pockets of those who are defrauding the public and willfully damaging the breed is a really bad idea.

If he remains unconvinced tell him I said a Nigerian prince left him billions of dollars and he should PM me for details on how to collect.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by kelrobin View Post
    But it IS allowed, unlike the silver color. My pick bitch out of my last litter had a white patch on her chest. I show in conformation as well as doing obedience and field with my Labs. I have no trouble keeping one with white on its chest since it's allowed by the breed standard. I'm not sure what standard you are reading, but Labs only come in 3 colors, black, yellow and chocolate, and a white patch is allowed.

If you're trying to make a point, you're making a piss-poor one.
    Game, set, match.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post

I wish I could have these people talk to my sister. She went out and got a silver Lab and of course did not tell me beforehand. Her dogs are strictly pets but even so, she was royally ripped off. She bought him online and after driving 5 hrs., she was not allowed to see the parents (probably brother & sister) nor the other pups. Her dog is not registered with the AKC but she like most pet buyers assume that because the dog had "papers" it was a purebred. I think it's registered with the Continental KC or some other bogus registry started by shysters kicked out of AKC.

Fast forward to now, her poor pup just turned two and will be lucky to make it another year. At 10 mos. he was diagnosed with crippling dysplasia in both hips & elbows. Most of the time he needs help getting up and he's already on rimadyl and other drugs to keep him as pain free as possible. He also has a host of auto immune problems. He's a sweet dog, but a genetic train wreck. My sister is not a dummy but she got sucked in by a slick website and load of crap.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981