The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: onset of symptoms for ligament tear?

Default onset of symptoms for ligament tear?

Had both of my kids out today guiding at a shooting preserve. All went well after we finished there were no apparent problems, loaded dogs had a beer in the clubhouse and went home after about an hour and 1/2 we arrived home . Unloaded didn't notice anything but shortly after my young dog (45lb pistol of a bitch) is not putting any weight on a rear leg. I'm hoping a strained muscle witch after cooling off is now stiff and sore. What I'm asking is would a tear show up right-away? Gave her an asprin and confined her and will see what is what in the morning.

IMO...That is what I would do. Also check the paw thoroughly.

Yes. A tear can show up right away. If you take the dog to the vet, make sure you tell them that you gave her aspirin. May affect what other drugs they can give her.

Good luck. I hope it is something minor for your sake. And hers.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Other than two tired dogs all seems well this a.m. She is putting weight on it and no apparent hitch in her giddy-up. Will rest for a couple days and watch closely. I'm thinking now maybee a muscle cramp due to dehydration, offered them water but with 10 degree temps and birds,birds and more birds they wern't very interested

Partial tears usually come and go, until snap it goes completely. Usually shows as a bunny hop in the back leg or a toe tap. Still those things can simply be muscle strain as well. Basically if the the hitch keeps coming back, particularly a toe tap; on the same side you probably need to go have it checked out. Of course none of this means you've got a ligament going, it could always be a muscle tear-strain; which can take a couple of month of complete rest to repair. Ligament tears are sometime very hard to figure out until they go completely, then it becomes obvious.

If she's fine after a rest; and this is the first time; it's most likely just strain.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-10-2014 at 12:19 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Observe you dog. Besides the obvious "non weight bearing" signs. If it "outriggers" the leg (places foot more outward & rearwards while standing) , or when sitting tucks leg under such that outer ankle touches floor, you likely have a CCL issue.
    There is such a thing as partial tears or micro tears. Not a total failure but it's believed over time CCL will ultimately fail.
    Ligament tears do not heal with rest or anything else.
    Meniscus damage often accompanies ccl injury.
    Etc etc...
    Last edited by Breck; 01-10-2014 at 05:47 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

On the water front, you've got to figure out a way to make the water palatable enough that they will drink even with birds around. My cadaver dog won't drink water in the field unless there is pancake syrup in it. Not only does he get the water for hydration but a little extra boost of energy with the sugar in it.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson