The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stirring the pot!

4. Most people don't know the difference between: your/you're, there/their, or to/too.
    There's at least one that doesn't know the difference between: "trialer and trailer"

Just stirring the pot
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    BULL.... I have it pretty bad right about now
    That's because here in PA it's -3 degrees one day and hitting close to 60 the next.
    I can't even figure out how to dress to go outside let alone what I want to do today

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    I am hugely offended by the chauvinistic slant of this: "Hence, I buy my dogs from accomplished Field Trailers with very good dogs. I don't believe re-inventing the wheel. These men have worked very hard and done way more in the trial game than I will ever accomplish." I mean really, get some enlightenment. Women's Lib, bra burning, right to vote, ring a bell? And sheesh, at least one of the breeder/owner/handlers of the dam of one of your pups is a she. Seriously offended. Seriously. Lucky I didn't report the post. But, you're a tenderfoot noob with apparent sensitivities so we'll just let it slide and hope you learn as you progress through your Stage Two.

You are offended he bought his dogs from Men? Sheesh.... talk about a bra burner..

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    I suppose the best retriever out there is behind someone's barn, hidden and only a few select people know about them.
    It happens. Regulars have heard this story by now…a long time ago my husband bought a coonhound, Akona Red Satan, up in Anoka Minnesota. The breeder, a man by the name of John Cogan, had a litter of Labradors at the same time. The parents were chained to the fence. One of those puppies was given away in payment of a debt. I forget the details, but I think it grew up to be a bit difficult to manage and ended up with Tony Berger. Became a legend in the breed

Come to think of it, nah, you wouldn't have wanted that dog. Folks said Tony was the only person who would have been able to train him.

Amy Dahl

Ahhh now to sit back and enjoy the reading! Making sure from now on to use "unisex" terms, promise.

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    When I first joined this forum I asked a ligitimate question about a HRC test. It was never, and repeat never a complaint, a question. Well, as a new guy the pack of wolves came out and attacked. Tried to eat me right down to the bone. I even got calls from my training partner telling me how they were bitching to him about my question, wow! I soon relaized how this forum worked so took it in stride and with humor. What was first started as my desire to learn turned into a feeding freenzy with me as the meat. The more I read the more I realized I wasn't special the newbies when asking a question mostly to get ate alive, this is normal here.

So, I now look at this as humor, with some very good advise mixed in once in a while. I have learned this...do not bring up the topic of:

1. High horsepower dogs because you will offend the "English" people or any other style of dog that thinks getting the bird when they have time is great, beside those dogs have great line manners.

2. Do not mention culling dogs....bad, all dogs are pets and have the right to organic snacks and a warm couch at night.

3. Do not mention the newest designer labs such as , English, Blocky Headed, Canoe, Pointing, Silver or what ever is next in line.

4. Do not have an opinion of what you demand in a dog and will feed, another words, your own standards because you will offend someone by your opinion. (It's call "strong" opinions) Remember even though these are your own opinions and standards you will offend. Gee I wonder if Lardy has standards of what he excepts???

5. Lastly, I have learned that I do not have to check this forum often here because just as my significant other hears things faster then lightning at her hair dresser, sure enough my training partner will get a call before this is even posted!

I am no different than many on here, but very different than some. I do demand the most from my dogs and I make no excuses. There are some very good dogs and trainers out there. I envy their dogs and methods and strive to attain what they have achieved. Hence, I buy my dogs from accomplished Field Trailers with very good dogs. I don't believe re-inventing the wheel. These men have worked very hard and done way more in the trial game than I will ever accomplish. The money I paid for their top breeding is money saved in the long run.

I also can appreciate a good dog be it yours or mine. A good dog is a good dog. but......a cull is a cull.

Now let the wolves attack and the phone calls begin. Good luck with your dogs.
    This all coming from a guy that hasn't even read the breed standard for a lab. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    My experience has been the opposite of yours. I'm a newbie on this board and I've gotten nothing but helpful suggestions to my questions. Here is what I've learned after watching this board for a few months.

1. Contrary to what people say, there are in fact dumb questions. And dumb questions often elicit harsh responses.

2. Using the Search function can save a lot of time and helps newbies from asking questions that been discussed in detail in earlier threads.

3. Questions about training usually bring lots of helpful advice (but see 1 above). Non-training questions, such as those about silver labs, judges at tests, the effect of pro trainers on hunt tests, etc, are the topics that tend to bring out emotions and harsh comments.

4. Most people don't know the difference between: your/you're, there/their, or to/too.
    I've had similar experiences as you. I ask questions and get honest answers. Some I agree with and some I don't. Also, when I reply to a post, I try to add some sort of value. However, just because one gives and answer that the person questioning doesn't agree with, doesn't mean they're hounding you or throwing you to the wolves. I try to take all with a grain of salt because very few people on here actually know who I am, so I don't take it personally. Plus, if I don't like it, there are plenty other forums that I could go to and be "that guy" over there.
    Trent

HR Goree's Flight School Drop Out SH "Maverick" 11/20/04---2/6/14
    Roux's Classy Lil' Bayou Princess "Sadee"
    Lean Grade of Dignified Troubles "Gracee"

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    There's at least one that doesn't know the difference between: "trialer and trailer"

Just stirring the pot
    And don't forget another words/in other words
    and write/rights
    Trent

HR Goree's Flight School Drop Out SH "Maverick" 11/20/04---2/6/14
    Roux's Classy Lil' Bayou Princess "Sadee"
    Lean Grade of Dignified Troubles "Gracee"

its one thing to use a wrong word now and than but when this unpunctuated jibberish gits posted up i have a hard time siferin it
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by SjSmith View Post
    its one thing to use a wrong word now and than but when this unpunctuated jibberish gits posted up i have a hard time siferin it
    I LOVE your sig line.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs