The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stirring the pot!

Yo Backwater,
    Sorry, off topic. I just noticed your tag line.
    I train with a littermate of "Raven", nice animal. He's running Quals now...

You’re blessed with extremely well bred dawgs. NO excuses
    Last edited by Gun Dawg; 01-10-2014 at 03:13 PM.

Thing I've learned about dogs from people who insist on buying dogs out of parents with NFC in front of their name; is that no matter how many times they are bred; very few if any of those offspring will have an NFC in front of their own name, heck very few if any will have an FC or AFC in front of their own name, most won't have MH, HRCH or MHR behind either. On the other hand a trainer who has produced these type of dogs, is highly likely to produce more dogs with these titles...So if anything it makes more since to be buying the proper Trainer, than worrying about who your dog might be out of ...Just saying
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-10-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    When I first joined this forum I asked a ligitimate question about a HRC test. It was never, and repeat never a complaint, a question. Well, as a new guy the pack of wolves came out and attacked. Tried to eat me right down to the bone. I even got calls from my training partner telling me how they were bitching to him about my question, wow! I soon relaized how this forum worked so took it in stride and with humor. What was first started as my desire to learn turned into a feeding freenzy with me as the meat. The more I read the more I realized I wasn't special the newbies when asking a question mostly to get ate alive, this is normal here.

So, I now look at this as humor, with some very good advise mixed in once in a while. I have learned this...do not bring up the topic of:

1. High horsepower dogs because you will offend the "English" people or any other style of dog that thinks getting the bird when they have time is great, beside those dogs have great line manners.

2. Do not mention culling dogs....bad, all dogs are pets and have the right to organic snacks and a warm couch at night.

3. Do not mention the newest designer labs such as , English, Blocky Headed, Canoe, Pointing, Silver or what ever is next in line.

4. Do not have an opinion of what you demand in a dog and will feed, another words, your own standards because you will offend someone by your opinion. (It's call "strong" opinions) Remember even though these are your own opinions and standards you will offend. Gee I wonder if Lardy has standards of what he excepts???

5. Lastly, I have learned that I do not have to check this forum often here because just as my significant other hears things faster then lightning at her hair dresser, sure enough my training partner will get a call before this is even posted!

I am no different than many on here, but very different than some. I do demand the most from my dogs and I make no excuses. There are some very good dogs and trainers out there. I envy their dogs and methods and strive to attain what they have achieved. Hence, I buy my dogs from accomplished Field Trailers with very good dogs. I don't believe re-inventing the wheel. These men have worked very hard and done way more in the trial game than I will ever accomplish. The money I paid for their top breeding is money saved in the long run.

I also can appreciate a good dog be it yours or mine. A good dog is a good dog. but......a cull is a cull.

Now let the wolves attack and the phone calls begin. Good luck with your dogs.
    I don't understand the reasoning of your post. Why stir the pot?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Towler View Post
    I don't understand the reasoning of your post. Why stir the pot?
    I am thinking he got out of his bed the wrong side this am and needs a good dose of Vitamin D. I don't know what prompted this OP but it is dangerous "stirring the pot" as you called it especially on this forum.
    Everyone on this forum has retrievers with varying degrees of success, different training methods whether they train themselves or not, whether they buy a dog from the best but all of us love our dogs in our own way. We covet how we train and like to preach it is the only way. The Newbie (like me) needs to read between the lines and garner what you can from each post that will suit you and your dog or just read b/c it is interesting. Respect for each others comments goes along ways. I have no way of knowing who you are or what your training experience is when you post on this forum.... but this OP is definitely interesting!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Somewhere in this thread someone said something about having the NFC title and getting only the best. At least that is how I read the post, so I have some thoughts on that.

The dogs who win the national events are worth noting and remembering. Winning a national or being a finalist is an awesome accomplishment.

However, as has been said here and elsewhere, there is no guarantee that a national winner will be a great producer of talented pups.

Often if the national winner is a male, he becomes the popular stud dog of the day. Thus, there will be a lot of breedings with different bitches. It takes a number of years to find out if the stud dog can produce talented pups from his breedings. When successful, the stud dog seems to get the credit and the dam is forgotten. We need to keep in mind that the bitch and the dogs behind her bring as much to the table as the popular stud dog.

Not every puppy in a litter is going to be exceptional. They may have the potential, but to realize that potential it depends on where that puppy goes -- who buys the puppy, who trains it, and the ability of that trainer to bring out the pup's potential.

Off my soapbox,
    Helen
    Last edited by helencalif; 01-10-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    The dogs who win the national events are worth noting and remembering. Winning a national or being a finalist is an awesome accomplishment.

However, as has been said here and elsewhere, there is no guarantee that a national winner will be a great producer of talented pups.

Often if the national winner is a male, he becomes the popular stud dog of the day. Thus, there will be a lot of breedings with different bitches. It takes a number of years to find out if the stud dog can produce talented pups from his breedings. When successful, the stud dog seems to get the credit and the dam is forgotten. We need to keep in mind that the bitch and the dogs behind her bring as much to the table as the popular stud dog.

Not every puppy in a litter is going to be exceptional. They may have the potential, but to realize that potential it depends on where that puppy goes -- who buys the puppy, who trains it, and the ability of that trainer to bring out the pup's potential.

Off my soapbox,
    Helen
    Great Post. I always try to get pups out of Bitch's with strong FC titles in their background.

Helen,

Dam straight, Spot on.....

When successful, the stud dog seems to get the credit and the dam is forgotten. We need to keep in mind that the bitch and the dogs behind her bring as much to the table as the popular stud dog.

Oh & now we've really derailed the original post

I met Don a few times last season at some FT's. I'd like the opportunity to talk dawgs w/you sometime.

Jamie
    Last edited by Gun Dawg; 01-10-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Dawg View Post
    We need to keep in mind that the bitch and the dogs behind her bring as much to the table as the popular stud dog.
    Totally agree!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
    my experience has been the opposite of yours. I'm a newbie on this board and i've gotten nothing but helpful suggestions to my questions. Here is what i've learned after watching this board for a few months.

1. Contrary to what people say, there are in fact dumb questions. And dumb questions often elicit harsh responses. Yep!

2. Using the search function can save a lot of time and helps newbies from asking questions that been discussed in detail in earlier threads. Right on again.

3. Questions about training usually bring lots of helpful advice (but see 1 above). Non-training questions, such as those about silver labs, judges at tests, the effect of pro trainers on hunt tests, etc, are the topics that tend to bring out emotions and harsh comments. hey, they asked for an opinion! Which as you know…..

4. Most people don't know the difference between: Your/you're, there/their, or to/too.
    Those that post in a manner that is illiterate, complete nonsense, or in poor grammar- should expect to be thought of as a) either a third grader b) a recent immigrant or from another country were english is not their first language or c) lack the brains or work ethic to even bother with typing in a correct manner.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Uh oh Raina, better re read your last line!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com