The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running first QAA- Question

Default Running first QAA- Question

Will be running my first QAA. Being a Hunt Test guy ,what are the differences that I need to be aware off. Must the dog be sent from the mat and what constitutes being on the mat. What advice do you have for this rookie. I expect to bomb ,but looking forward to having a good time.
    Ed Wojciechowski

"GUNNER" MH
    "DASH" MH
    "TAZ" HRCH,RN,MH,MNH
    "Duffy" HRCH,UH, MH, HRC 500 points RIP
    "Kodi" SH, WCX- HRCH 6th Std Poodle
    "GINA" JH STD Poodle
    "Heather" HRCH, SH
    "CHIEF" JH,WCX,RN,SHR STD Poodle

First off Ed , you are probably running in a Qualifying Stake..QAA is merely a designation,not a title..when in doubt ask the judges when the test is being shown to the gallery/field, if you arent able to be there for the test dog then ask the marshal...different judges have different interpretations

Good Luck , hope you have a blast
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Just go run your dog. It's no big thing.
    Judges will instruct anything special regarding running the test, matt, limits of movement on blinds etc.
    The Q is usually not over complicated.
    But don't wear any camo if you want to get past the first series.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Put "something" on the mat if there is a mat. Take more time than you think you need. Make sure the dog sees the first and second birds in the first series. Have fun. It is fun when it goes well.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

On the honor your can't talk even whisper to your dog. So once they ask if your are ready give that last sit command and start praying... Have fun!!

Let the judges tell you when to pick up your dog. That is if things are not going well. I made it to the third series of one of my first Q's and my dog forgot the long memory bird on the water marks. She started to head toward an old fall so I thought "S**T we're done" and picked her up. A more experienced handler was kind enough to tell me that if I had just handled her to the last bird I would have most likely gotten a JAM since my dog had done well up to the last bird. Good Luck in the Q! Have fun.
    I think they were all made to shoot because if they were not why did they give them that whirr of wings that moves you suddenly more than any love of country . . . I think that they were made to shoot and some of us were made to shoot them and if that is not so well, never say we did not tell you that we liked it.

E. Hemingway

Woo
    Just go have fun, learn as you go.
    Since your dogs are HRCH, you should be fine in the qualifying.
    FC-AFC Pinehurst's All That Jazz
    FC Pinehurst's True Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Purpledawg View Post
    On the honor your can't talk even whisper to your dog. So once they ask if your are ready give that last sit command and start praying... Have fun!!
    I can't remember that far back. Last time I ran one was the early 80's. Can you put your dog on a down or do they have to sit on honor???

One thing I would suggest is to go to www.akc.org and pull down the info re field trials rules and regulations. You will feel more comfortable going to the line knowing exactly what is and what isn't allowed. Often judges in the Qual are more forgiving of various errors and will point them out to you with a "will let it go this time, but don't repeat it" but that is not always the case.

The vast majority of the judges are for you and the dog and want to see you do well. Remember, attitude is everything---go up there expecting to have fun but also expecting your dog to do the work. If for some reason you have problems, try to gain something from it by working your dog through the situation rather than immediately calling, "No, here!"

I know that when I first started, I assumed everyone was watching me and thinking what a dumb move I had just made, etc. That is definitely not the case. We love newcomers and first timers. I can't tell you how many kind judges I had who let me work through a waterblind, with umpteen whistles, because they felt it would be beneficial to both me and the dog in the long run. Of course, I didn't get back, but I gained something from it. One judge in an Open, as she was walking me back from a pretty atrocious waterblind in the Open, put her arm around me and said, "you know, there is a cast called 'over'". I had been trying to look really smooth and "with it". I left from there to run a waterblind in the Amateur and my first cast was an "over" and we won our first Amateur.

Enjoy the experience.

Glenda

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda Brown View Post
    One thing I would suggest is to go to www.akc.org and pull down the info re field trials rules and regulations. You will feel more comfortable going to the line knowing exactly what is and what isn't allowed. Often judges in the Qual are more forgiving of various errors and will point them out to you with a "will let it go this time, but don't repeat it" but that is not always the case.

The vast majority of the judges are for you and the dog and want to see you do well. Remember, attitude is everything---go up there expecting to have fun but also expecting your dog to do the work. If for some reason you have problems, try to gain something from it by working your dog through the situation rather than immediately calling, "No, here!"

I know that when I first started, I assumed everyone was watching me and thinking what a dumb move I had just made, etc. That is definitely not the case. We love newcomers and first timers. I can't tell you how many kind judges I had who let me work through a waterblind, with umpteen whistles, because they felt it would be beneficial to both me and the dog in the long run. Of course, I didn't get back, but I gained something from it. One judge in an Open, as she was walking me back from a pretty atrocious waterblind in the Open, put her arm around me and said, "you know, there is a cast called 'over'". I had been trying to look really smooth and "with it". I left from there to run a waterblind in the Amateur and my first cast was an "over" and we won our first Amateur.

Enjoy the experience.

Glenda
    Great post! That win must have really saved your weekend!