The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Getting started in field trials

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

This is a great ideal. However, the harsh reality is that there are not enough of the people you describe for the judging openings that must be filled.
    Alas I fear your right, probably why I got strong armed into starting judging, and why our club has been sponsoring, instructing and cough(black-mailing) others to start . It is a clubs responsibility to ensure they get qualified people to judge, it is a very big responsibility that should be taken seriously, and not done just to fill spots.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-14-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Alas I fear your right, probably why I got strong armed into starting judging, and why our club has been sponsoring/black-mailing others to start.

I support the FT apprentice program (although many do not) because it helps newcomers get a feel for all that is involved in judging, without the pressure of having to make decisions about tests, call backs, and placements
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

I believe it would be most beneficial to have someone with a history as an educator develop a curriculum of study, include a reasonable apprenticeship and throw away the existing test(s).

I don't think anyone will argue the wording on the existing tests does not promote long term retention of the rules or a thorough understanding of the rule book. Every person I know who has taken the test always gripes and complains about the ridiculousness of the wording. People who re-take the test seem to complain louder and they've probably taken it 6+ times.

I support the FT apprentice program (although many do not) because it helps newcomers get a feel for all that is involved in judging, without the pressure of having to make decisions about tests, call backs, and placements
    How far in advance does one have to express an interest in apprenticing? i.e, is it something that needs to be submitted and approved by AKC? Tacky, but can I assume that all expenses are paid by the apprenticing judge?

Thanks!

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you can’t take it back…"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Wade View Post
    How far in advance does one have to express an interest in apprenticing? i.e, is it something that needs to be submitted and approved by AKC? Tacky, but can I assume that all expenses are paid by the apprenticing judge?

Thanks!

M
    It's the clubs responsibility. Also, for HT it's now about a 7 year process is what many people figure and you pay all of your own way and don't get to run your dog.

Thanks!

M
    From the Rule Book, Page 7

Upon receipt of a request any field trial club may, with the approval of the designated stake judges, authorize a person who is an amateur in good standing with the American Kennel Club and who has not previously judged an all-age stake to participate as an “Apprentice Judge” at an all-age stake. Such person shall, at his or her own expense, listen to and observe all aspects of the all-age stake including the entire set-up day; the conduct of the stake itself including call backs and the placement process as well as all mechanical aspects of the stake. An Apprentice judge may not serve either on the Event Committee or as the Event Secretary. The report of the Field Trial Secretary to the American Kennel Club shall include the name and address of any Apprentice Judge and the identity of the stake observed. No person may participate as an Apprentice Judge in more than one all-age stake at any given field trial. The assigned judges must sign the Apprentice Judge Form included in the event kit if they are in agreement that the individual has successfully completed the Apprenticeship assignment. Judge qualifications may be found under Standard Procedures, Section 23.

Rule Book page 31

No person who has not previously judged an all-age stake shall be approved to judge a stake carrying championship points unless that person has satisfied at least one of the following requirements: (a) completion of two assignments as an Apprentice Judge; or (b) completion of one assignment as an Apprentice Judge and experience as the judge of two, or more, minor stakes; or (c) experience as the handler of a dog in fifteen or more all-age stakes in the previous three years resulting in the award of a judges’ award of merit or a place in, at least, one such stake. The process to become an Apprentice Judge and their responsibilities are explained in Chapter 5, Section 4 (page 7).
    I would find a good judge, ask him/her and the co-judge whether, they would be willing to have you apprentice, and then contact club. If you find a club near home, expenses should be minimal. With right judges/teachers could be a great learning experience.

Home of:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    It's the clubs responsibility. Also, for HT it's now about a 7 year process is what many people figure and you pay all of your own way and don't get to run your dog.
    I'm not as interested in HTs as in FTs. I do wonder if one were judging/apprenticing a minor stake if it would be appropriate to have someone running your dog in an All Age stake at that trial.

M

Mitch Patterson '07

From the Rule Book, Page 7

Rule Book page 31

I would find a good judge, ask him/her and the co-judge whether, they would be willing to have you apprentice, and then contact club. If you find a club near home, expenses should be minimal. With right judges/teachers could be a great learning experience.
    Thanks Ted. A huge help. I would think apprenticing in the minor stakes would be the first step? Do the judges you apprentice with typically offer feedback as to why they do what they do and welcome questions?

M

Mitch Patterson '07

I'm not as interested in HTs as in FTs. I do wonder if one were judging/apprenticing a minor stake if it would be appropriate to have someone running your dog in an All Age stake at that trial.

M

The Rule Book does not prohibit it. Nor, do I believe that good taste would prohibit it. Give it a whirl.

Home of:

Thanks Ted. A huge help. I would think apprenticing in the minor stakes would be the first step? Do the judges you apprentice with typically offer feedback as to why they do what they do and welcome questions?

M

I think that - like most things - it depends.

I know that Chris Atkinson apprenticed with Andy Whiteley and me in the River King Open a couple of years ago. The three of us walked the fields together, discussed marks and blinds, and set up tests together. That approach was appropriate because of Chris's skill level. It probably would not be appropriate for someone with less dog experience.

We discussed dog work as the dogs performed, worked on call backs together. When it came for time to place dogs, we each worked on placements separately. We had Chris tell us his placements and defend his decisions. Then Andy and I discussed placements while Chris watched. Basically, Chris participated - and helped - in all aspects of the judging process. I thought it was a good learning experience for all of us. Having to explain why you do things a certain way makes you really examine the process.

Home of: