The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I Do The Right Thing? Started Hillman pup training today...

Default Did I Do The Right Thing? Started Hillman pup training today...

My 10 1/2 week old pup and I started Hillman today. He loved retrieveing and brought it right back to me with excitement. We moved right into walk on a lead. HE HATES IT. HE dug his feet in and would not budge. He looked at me and I looked at him. We started walking and he would rather the leash choke him than follow mw. I realize some of this is natural. He was resisiting so much that the his collar started to choke him and he yelp and started to gag. I stopped it right there. He followed me inside and went to sleep. I know this is a lot for him, I am just wondering if I did the right thing by stopping it.

Any suggestions what I should do if he continues to dig in? Should i just keep walking calmly and pulling him through the grass while he digs his heels in?

Thanks

I put a check cord on all my puppies when they are not in their kennel box. So this means, I make up a 12' long, 1/4" smooth, hard, plastic rope with a real small snap. No knots, no loops. He would wear that all day anytime he is not in his kennel. This means, in the house, in the yard, in the truck, in the store....100% of the time. They get real use to a rope and leash training just happens with life. Then at about 4-5 months I transition to the e-collar and I never, don't have control.
    Don't beat him up over it, just make it part of life and in a few days he will walk with your anywhere. I also always have a pocket of kibble food for treats and use them lots at first. Don

He's a little baby puppy, so I would back up a little with leash work and just make your goal to get him used to having the leash on his neck. let him drag it around in a safe area. Pick it up and let him know you are connected by the leash, but let him go where he wants to go at first. Let him get used to the fact that he's on a rope and there is a little tension on it because you're connected to the other end of it.

Then move up to having him go in the direction you want to go. Take it easy.

Hillman does not force the leading. He just wants the dog to walk on a line not heel at this stage. Start teaching him to sit. Just have fun and get him to chase something. No force no pressure. Take it easy just a puppy! Hillman encourages patience, kindness and understanding. Have FUN. IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

You should consider going to Hillmann's seminar next weekend in Meigs, GA. You could get hands on feedback from Bill, himself. I heard the enrollment numbers are less than normal, so a great opportunity for more working time in front of Bill.

Jim

ETA: After posting, it occurred to me that your pup is too young to risk exposure to a seminar environment.
    Last edited by T-Pines; 01-11-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    I put a check cord on all my puppies when they are not in their kennel box. So this means, I make up a 12' long, 1/4" smooth, hard, plastic rope with a real small snap. No knots, no loops. He would wear that all day anytime he is not in his kennel. This means, in the house, in the yard, in the truck, in the store....100% of the time. They get real use to a rope and leash training just happens with life. Then at about 4-5 months I transition to the e-collar and I never, don't have control.
    Don't beat him up over it, just make it part of life and in a few days he will walk with your anywhere. I also always have a pocket of kibble food for treats and use them lots at first. Don
    That's exactly what I have done with my almost 10 week old pup. Not because I actually knew what I was doing, but because I'm 64 and know enough to know I can't run down a puppy. So she lives with that cord on, dragging it all over the house, the yard, wherever. We sorta have started the Hillmann program (though she's still a bit young). Her sits are quick but really transient... down, right back up again. But she walks on the lead pretty well. (Per Hillmann we are not even pretending to heel.)

Question for OP: Are you using a lot of happy-talk while you're trying to get your pup to follow you? The "choke" collar is just supposed to be popped or snapped to get some movement. Not supposed to drag pup with it.

Question for anyone with more know-how than me: Because it's really cold we can't do a great deal outside. I'm trying to lengthen her sits and I'm using treats and making it a game. Am I going to be causing more trouble this way than if I used the lead/collar pop alone?

I you have just started today don't try to move along too quickly ... watch what Bill is doing with Nick.

If I am remembering correctly, he starts with Nick at 11 weeks old and he either says it or it's in the DVD notes that the 28 training days were done over a period of 9 weeks as he only "trained" Nick 3 days a week ... the remainder of the time was doing what pups do best .... have fun.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

I agree with other posters good advice. Your pup should always be having fun and thinking that life is great during all of this. Otherwise, you are not doing it right.

After the pup is accustomed to dragging a leash around, the leash pressure should be a very light and quick tug. Do not use it to pull the pup to you. The little tug is more about getting his attention, redirecting his focus back to you and then enticing him to follow you by capitalizing on his desire to interact with you. This desire to interact with you is established and developed in the relationship-building, bonding and engagement activity that comes before any formal work walking on a line.

Timing is very important as you look for the tiniest indication of him responding in the right direction and then you praise like crazy ... "All the excitement you can muster".

By the way, yielding in response to leash pressure is a taught skill. The natural reflex of a pup is to resist and oppose steady pressure from a lead. Even though you can easily overpower your pup at this stage, that is not the method to use. Hillmann teaches you to create successful outcomes and then reinforce with praise and excitement. Use finesse rather than force to create the success.

Lastly, I think you made the smart decision to end it and walk away to allow yourself to re-think your approach.

Jim

Thanks for the advice. I think we are going to put leash breaking on hold for a few days. I certainly don't want to force him and I feel that's what I was doing. Hopefully he will forgive my mistake and allow me the opportunity to make it right.

Laneb,

I just re-read your post and the following jumped out at me (bold added by me):

Quote Originally Posted by laneb15 View Post
    I stopped it right there. He followed me inside and went to sleep.
    What did the part where he followed you inside look like? How did you make it happen? Apparently, after you quit trying to get him to follow you ... you got him to follow you!!!! Build on that.

Jim