The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-collar position or crap collar?

Default E-collar position or crap collar?

I am sometimes getting variable responses from my dog on a given setting with my e-collar. For some reason, say at level 3 out of 7, maybe 5% of the time, he will sometimes completely ignore the stimulus (possibly just not tight enough) or actually become vocal from discomfort. Again, it's rare but seems odd. I'm guessing it's one of two things.

One thing Iíve noticed is depending on where the prongs sit on my hand when I test it, I can get quite a variable stimulus for the same setting. Can the same happen on a dog if the prongs are at just the right location, and if not placed in the exact same location every time, he will receive variable stimulus levels for the same setting?

Or do I need a new collar? Itís a sport dog 425s and after reading on here quite a bit, realized sometimes theyíre better off in the garbage. I would just like to know if this is typical with any collar before I invest in another.

Same problem with the Sport Dog collar I had. Don't know if it was the battery or what. Switched to TT and have had no problems.

I would recommend a new ecollar. A TT would be best. The model would depend on your goals but can't go
    wrong with Flyway.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by catfish_joe View Post
    I am sometimes getting variable responses from my dog on a given setting with my e-collar. For some reason, say at level 3 out of 7, maybe 5% of the time, he will sometimes completely ignore the stimulus (possibly just not tight enough) or actually become vocal from discomfort. Again, it's rare but seems odd. I'm guessing it's one of two things.

One thing I’ve noticed is depending on where the prongs sit on my hand when I test it, I can get quite a variable stimulus for the same setting. Can the same happen on a dog if the prongs are at just the right location, and if not placed in the exact same location every time, he will receive variable stimulus levels for the same setting?

Or do I need a new collar? It’s a sport dog 425s and after reading on here quite a bit, realized sometimes they’re better off in the garbage. I would just like to know if this is typical with any collar before I invest in another.
    I had that problem with my DT Systems 1820 + H2O and sent to the factory for a tune up. In the mean time I bought a TT Pro 100 G3 and I have never even taken the DT collar out of the return shipping box. Hard to argue with quality products that work. I do know you can really screw up a dog with a collar that don't work 100% all the time. Don

Check to make sure to the plastic around the prongs isn't cracked.

I had a sport dog that did that and I got tired of it messing me and my dog up. I bought a TT. In the mean time I discovered that one of the plastic casings that surround the prong was cracked.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

I can't tell for sure what you are asking, either your collar zaps your hand differently depending on where you place the collar on your hand or the stimulation you are getting on your hand is inconsistent. If the latter, get a new collar.

I learned from Dave Rorem at a training seminar that different places on the dog's neck vary in sensitivity to the ecollar.

You need to place the prongs in the same spot on your dog every time you use the ecollar, and it should not slip from this spot.

I place the ecollar high on my dog's neck behind her ear as recommended by Mr. Rorem, this is where she is most sensitive. I have marked the hole on the collar strap that I need to use so that it does not slip during training.

I have the ecollar right up next to the buckle on the strap.

I get a much more consistent response to the ecollar now that I am following Rorem's advice.
    Last edited by mitty; 01-11-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    Renee P

Mitty, the collar zaps me differently depending on where I place the collar in my hand. In the meat of my thumb muscle I get a substantial more shock than in the inside center of my hand for the same setting. I’m assuming just the way my nerves are oriented. Give it a try! That’s why I’m wondering if it is the collar spazzing out, or the position varying slightly into a highly sensitive/non-sensitive spot. I always try and position it in the same location, about 8 o’clock looking at him head on, but maybe a couple millimeters in either direction could make the difference of hitting a big nerve?? I don’t know.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like folks are thinking this is a collar issue. Nothing appears cracked or damaged on the outside, but maybe something internal. Regardless, it’s rather frustrating and may go with a TT just to be sure!

Thats the reason I gave away my SD 400, Irregular responses from the dog, and thing (receiver) never held a charge for more then a day. Went with TT, never had a issue again!!
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

Things I've learned about dogs and collars.
    1 dogs shrink when wet, 2 some dogs can pinch off most any collar, by shifting it's position on their neck, 3 dogs are smart, some dogs are really smart . Some act like they can't handle pressure up until the point where they actually get enough pressure that they forget about acting.

If the collar is on and you feel a shock, providing you ain't got crap batteries that can't hold a charge. The dog is probably pinching it off, tighten collar, check collar tightness through out the day and after swimming. Move transmitter, so it hits the back of the neck, so they can't pinch the prongs away from skin. If he's still not responding, might be he feels it, it just doesn't affect him enough that he cares. Check collar to make sure it's on with the vibrate when he returns from marks. A crap collar will usually only hold a charge for one or two corrections before it dies.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-12-2014 at 01:27 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)