The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stirring the pot!

Default Stirring the pot!

When I first joined this forum I asked a ligitimate question about a HRC test. It was never, and repeat never a complaint, a question. Well, as a new guy the pack of wolves came out and attacked. Tried to eat me right down to the bone. I even got calls from my training partner telling me how they were bitching to him about my question, wow! I soon relaized how this forum worked so took it in stride and with humor. What was first started as my desire to learn turned into a feeding freenzy with me as the meat. The more I read the more I realized I wasn't special the newbies when asking a question mostly to get ate alive, this is normal here.

So, I now look at this as humor, with some very good advise mixed in once in a while. I have learned this...do not bring up the topic of:

1. High horsepower dogs because you will offend the "English" people or any other style of dog that thinks getting the bird when they have time is great, beside those dogs have great line manners.

2. Do not mention culling dogs....bad, all dogs are pets and have the right to organic snacks and a warm couch at night.

3. Do not mention the newest designer labs such as , English, Blocky Headed, Canoe, Pointing, Silver or what ever is next in line.

4. Do not have an opinion of what you demand in a dog and will feed, another words, your own standards because you will offend someone by your opinion. (It's call "strong" opinions) Remember even though these are your own opinions and standards you will offend. Gee I wonder if Lardy has standards of what he excepts???

5. Lastly, I have learned that I do not have to check this forum often here because just as my significant other hears things faster then lightning at her hair dresser, sure enough my training partner will get a call before this is even posted!

I am no different than many on here, but very different than some. I do demand the most from my dogs and I make no excuses. There are some very good dogs and trainers out there. I envy their dogs and methods and strive to attain what they have achieved. Hence, I buy my dogs from accomplished Field Trailers with very good dogs. I don't believe re-inventing the wheel. These men have worked very hard and done way more in the trial game than I will ever accomplish. The money I paid for their top breeding is money saved in the long run.

I also can appreciate a good dog be it yours or mine. A good dog is a good dog. but......a cull is a cull.

Now let the wolves attack and the phone calls begin. Good luck with your dogs.

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)

Pretty ironic, Mr. Backwater.
    Seems to me, you have been doing your fair share of piling on noobs,

And just what is the point of this thread?? Oh wait, I see..more piling on.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

"Hence, I buy my dogs from accomplished Field Trailers..........."

How does a trainer's "field trailer" bear on the quality of his pups? I mean I suppose that many of the really good trainers also have nice trailers, but that seems a pretty superficial criterion on which to base the purchase of a puppy. Do you give the guys with nice dog trucks a look? Seems to me that a nice truck could be as indicative of the quality of the dogs as a trailer.
    Last edited by HPL; 01-11-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

You are from North Dakota. Nuff said.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Welcome to an internet forum. Change the name on the sign out front and they are all very alike inside.
    Tim McGarry Jr
    AKC Retriever Hunt Test Judge # 95104

I am hugely offended by the chauvinistic slant of this: "Hence, I buy my dogs from accomplished Field Trailers with very good dogs. I don't believe re-inventing the wheel. These men have worked very hard and done way more in the trial game than I will ever accomplish." I mean really, get some enlightenment. Women's Lib, bra burning, right to vote, ring a bell? And sheesh, at least one of the breeder/owner/handlers of the dam of one of your pups is a she. Seriously offended. Seriously. Lucky I didn't report the post. But, you're a tenderfoot noob with apparent sensitivities so we'll just let it slide and hope you learn as you progress through your Stage Two.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    I am hugely offended by the chauvinistic slant of this: "Hence, I buy my dogs from accomplished Field Trailers with very good dogs. I don't believe re-inventing the wheel. These men have worked very hard and done way more in the trial game than I will ever accomplish." I mean really, get some enlightenment. Women's Lib, bra burning, right to vote, ring a bell? And sheesh, at least one of the breeder/owner/handlers of the dam of one of your pups is a she. Seriously offended. Seriously. Lucky I didn't report the post. But, you're a tenderfoot noob with apparent sensitivities so we'll just let it slide and hope you learn as you progress through your Stage Two.
    Two words: Mary Howley.

See other current thread.

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    How does a trainer's "field trailer" bear on the quality of his pups? I mean I suppose that many of the really good trainers also have nice trailers, but that seems a pretty superficial criterion on which to base the purchase of a puppy. Do you give the guys with nice dog trucks a look? Seems to me that a nice truck could be as indicative of the quality of the dogs as a trailer.
    I suppose the best retriever out there is behind someone's barn, hidden and only a few select people know about them. To me if you got NFC behind your name you BEAT someone and you didn't compete on a standard which changes on who judges. Again my opinion, many other are selling many, many puppies without the titles no issues with me, I'm not buying. They have the write to sell all they want, again my opinion not yours.

Oh I did forget, those offended by the use of a singular sex. Forgot to be politically correct again. Yes, one of my pups did come from a very nice woman with a very nicely PROFESSIONALLY trained dog. Dr. Nell is very nice, nothing but positive to say about her.

As far as the truck goes, you obviously never ran a pack a bear hounds. I did for 20 plus years never had a good or nice truck ever, too busy buying dog food. Same reason my dogs are trained by me and not a pro, can't write the check. Would love to put my dog on a pros truck than talk smack about how good my dogs is , but... I can't.

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)

And yet he says he has a sense of humor. My oh my. For the record, NFC is in front of the name. And if you continue with the innuendos against those who use pros, well, good luck with your doggie endeavors.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

to the OP, I seem to remember just a couple of days ago, you were part of a contingent that you now put down, when a new RTF'er was asking how to train a dog to sit on a whistle without the use of an E Collar, you were taking some pretty good shots yourself at those trainers that wish to use alternative methods, instead of either leaving the thread alone or trying to help the man out..
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"