The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help! - crate training

Default Please help! - crate training

So I finally picked up my bouncing baby lab puppy today, 7 weeks old. I've read pretty much every thread on crate training on this forum but nothing prepared me for this. I feel like I did everything right, no food or water after 7. Played around outside and he fell asleep on my chest for a half hour. I slowly placed him in his kennel and he was fine for 10 minutes then absolutely flipped out when he realized he was in his kennel. He's going on 3 hours now of straight whining, how has he not worn himself out!? My wife is a nurse and has to work in the morning so she's pissed because his whines echo through the house. I'm downstairs with him and even though I'm right next to him he just keeps going. We knew it was going to be restless nights but didn't think it would be nights where we got absolutely no sleep at all. Any suggestions? Is this normal to keep whining for this long? I don't know what to do, he needs to learn to sleep in there.

Put him in a room in the kennel shut the door and let him cry. If you run to him he will learn he gets attention by acting this way. In essence you trained him to cry. It sucks and is annoying. Buy your wife some ear plugs and let the pup raise as much racket as he wants when he stops for a couple minutes go to him, let him out and praise him like no other. This teaches him quiet gets him out
    proverbs 12:10

He's in the basement bathroom right now. We did a couple test runs in the evening of me putting his food by his kennel and putting a treat in there but he just will not go near it. I finally had to put his food away from it so he would eat something before 7. It's hard to praise him for being silent when he's never silent as soon as he gets in his kennel. Going on 4 hours now. Tough love I guess, I just can't believe he still has vocal cords or hasn't cried himself to sleep already. Wish me luck fellas, hopefully I don't see divorce papers on the table later this week haha.

you might try putting a radio close to the crate. sometimes it can help to cover the sides of the crate with a blanket.

7 weeks is pretty tough remember until you brought him home he slept in a dog pile with his brothers and sisters and whenever he was lost or confused he cried and mom came a running luckily pups don't remember mom for long and you will soon replace her as primary care giver my daughters beagle howled incessantly for 3 days now she finds the kennel when she wants to sleep its a phase that will pass
    proverbs 12:10

Hour 6 - he's starting to sound like a squeaker toy that is losing its squeak, while also banging against the door of the kennel. He's had a towel covering him the entire time and soft tunes playing next to him, which includes Enya. How could someone stay awake while Enya is playing? I honestly cannot believe he is still going strong for this long. Any suggestions for tomorrow afternoon on how I can get him used to his crate? He won't go near it even when food and treats are involved.

Just put him in bed with you. He will sleep soundly up near your neck.

Introduce the crate over the next few days.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

It will pass!! It is hard at first. You can put the crate by your bed and see if that comforts him. Have an older dog stay nearby his bed. But keep up the crate training. Good luck!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

put a tick tock clock in the crate with him. the sound will passify him. I have done this with all my dogs for the first few nights. Helps out a lot. The first night is the hardest after crate training my first dog. I said to myself why didn't i do this with the other dogs. Makes your life so much easier. And i have found that after a year of crating i can slowly start trusting my dogs and leave them out at night and on short trips to the store until eventually I don't even use a crate anymore.
    I have never understood why you can have the best trained dogs in the world, but when you put two dogs together the act like they have a half a brain between the both of them.

Rkk's Lady Of the Lake

Consider if you were put somewhere as a small child --- taken away from your home and siblings and put in a new place with new smells and these new unfamiliar humans and then locked in a crate and everyone goes away.... --- wouldn't you yell ??? It is normal to yell at this point. You would want to be rescued. This is a HUGE change for the pup. They need love and support --- and not put somewhere to scream until they are exhausted and fall asleep.

You said that you kept water and food away at end of day --- fine but that does not mean anything when the pup is so frightened. This is a member of your family you have brought home. Many breeders spend time getting a pup used to being in a crate for periods of time --- maybe yours did not. You might call them and ask what transitional steps had been taken to get the pup prepared to be alone and away from his siblings.

One person suggested having the pup sleep with you. I know some people don't want to do that but it is an excellent transition from being with the litter. My new pup slept with me for about a week (no they don't pee in the bed). He learned about the crate in the house by feeding him in it. My breeder had also done some transitional preparation activities before the pup came to me. Find out what yours did or did not do. My current pup is 11 weeks old today. Write me at my email below (I seldom check PMs) if you have any questions..There are some ways that you can this happy for your family as well as for the pup who is going to be a member of your family for 10-15 years.

Sorry to sound so tough on you ---- but just want to be of help for both your pup and your family. Having a new pup can be a wonderful experience for both you and the pup.

Marilyn Fender Windstorm Retrievers mf96nfc@centurytel.net
    Home of NFC AFC Storm's Riptide Star (Rascal) and birthplace of his son 2000 CNAFC CFC Quik Windstorm (Chip)
    and new son of Rascal --- Windstorm Picks It Up (Pick-It)
    Last edited by Marilyn Fender; 01-12-2014 at 06:39 AM.