The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please help! - crate training

Remember you are in the bonding period of puppy development, learning to be alone is good at night BUT during the day spend every minute (that you can) with this pup bonding and teaching. Teaching is not formal training but going outside and opening the world of experiences to him, potty training, trying stairs and other obstacles. I spent 5 full days with my last pup and she has one of the tightest relationship with me of all my dogs.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"The solution is within the problem"

Thought I would share a little update to let you know that I took note of what you guys said and have mixed some of it in with the crate training process. The past 2 nights I have been sleeping on the couch with him at my feet or on my chest and i set an alarm to take him out around 4am and then it's back to sleep for an hour and a half. We decided to work on crate training during the day and yesterday my wife ran some errands for an hour and came back and he was quiet and calm in his kennel. Probably let him sleep with me until the weekend and hopefully the day time crate training would have helped and he can sleep somewhat sound next to our bed. I don't want him to get used to sleeping with me at nights. Although, just from the past 2 nights it seems like he's bonded to me quite fast, and usually it only takes 1 correction from me to get him to stop if he's doing something wrong.

Anyways, just wanted to say thanks and here's some pictures of the little guy. His name is Moe Money Moe Problems aka "Moe".unnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpgunnamed.jpg

I feel your pain! Same has happened here but I listen to him he has a gotta go whine and a I want to play bark. Sometimes I don't listen, then I have to clean his crate. We are both learning! Really helps for the sunny days where he can go outside all day. He crashes that night. Good luck!

I'm probably (and unfortunately) just repeating what you've already heard, but...
    We picked my Sadie up from the breeder in the late afternoon and stayed over with my in-laws for a couple of days. Her first night with us was spent in a crate (full sized, but "baffled" to reduce the interior size). She whined. She cried. She yelped. She damned near broke my heart. Night 2 was equally as bad, so I put an unwashed field shirt of mine (yuk!) in the crate with her for night #3 and she seemed to be a lot more settled. The next day, we traveled about 4 or 5 hours home, Sadie in the crate in the back of the Exhibition, sound asleep...she was so quiet I even stopped once to be sure she was still alive! She was 100% adjusted to the crate after that, and even now at 9-1/2 years old, she prefers her slightly larger "in the house" crate to sleeping anywhere else...including with us!

I have to say that in your training (whether crate training now, or in any of those far more sophisticated elements that will come later), if you are consistent (underscore, italicize and bold "consistent") you will be successful. Just wait until force fetch, for example...that can be really easy or an absolute nightmare...it depends on what your dog has learned to expect from you and what you believe your dog is capable of. Hang in there. You do, after all, have a "new baby" in the house! Love him, play with him, continue to bond with him...and most of all, enjoy being with him. Don't try to teach too much too fast. The more comfortable and confident he becomes, the more he'll "settle in" and the less time you'll have to spend stressing out about him. Dogs "read" us very well...right now let him "read" your relaxed attitude about him and your devotion to him. My Sadie very quickly became a wonderful family member, and through her training and experience became one hell of a field dog. So can yours.

Just my 2.