The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: training 8wk old pup

Default training 8wk old pup

I am getting a new puppy here in a couple of weeks and just trying to prepare the best I can. I ordered the Hillmann puppy DVD a few weeks ago and have been reviewing it. My question is when should I start the puppy training as Bill does in the DVD. He is training a 10 week old puppy I believe. My pup will be 7.5 weeks old when I get it. What type of training is recommended for the 2.5 weeks before. Are there books or dvds that anyone can recommend for training from the day u get the pup home til starting of the puppy training from Hillmanns dvd? Thanks for any help

A 7.5 week old puppy shouldn't be undergoing any training other than housebreaking and bonding with its family (and learning manners). Let the puppy be a puppy, you have tons of time to train once he's older.

thanks for your reply. ive been doing a lot of reading about socialization and bonding. In the dvd and in many of Bills youtube videos he speaks of getting the dog wild about retrieving. whats the best way to start this and what age do you begin. I read something online about the findings that the things a puppy learns between 8-16 weeks, they carry with them their entire lives. Although a dog has a long life of training, wouldn't it make sense to do important things early. That's where my dead end is. I don't know what is too much too early. I believe very strongly about hillmanns philosophy and training techniques and plan to start my new pup on his training dvd at 10-11 weeks. other than socialization, what are things to do for the first few weeks with a new pup. Is it ok to start with a few hallway retrieves a day that young or is it all socialization and bonding at the start

My theory. At first just let the pup adjust to his new home.
    Play with him, introduce to neighbors and friends, take walks with him in yard. Just play and socialization and adjusting. Be sure and call him by his name lots. Then one day when he is engaged in puppy behavior and you call his name he will look at you because he recognizes his name. This is when he is ready to start learning. This usually happens in about two weeks.

Jackie Merten's has a DVD, Sound Beginnings, that I really like for the very young.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

listen wayne, I really appreciate the info. just looked up sound beginnings and am strongly thinking of ordering it. Im really over thinking this whole deal I think but I just really wanna get it right. The understanding his name idea makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help

Default Puppy Training

Quote Originally Posted by PatDuck View Post
    thanks for your reply. ive been doing a lot of reading about socialization and bonding. In the dvd and in many of Bills youtube videos he speaks of getting the dog wild about retrieving. whats the best way to start this and what age do you begin. I read something online about the findings that the things a puppy learns between 8-16 weeks, they carry with them their entire lives. Although a dog has a long life of training, wouldn't it make sense to do important things early. That's where my dead end is. I don't know what is too much too early. I believe very strongly about hillmanns philosophy and training techniques and plan to start my new pup on his training dvd at 10-11 weeks. other than socialization, what are things to do for the first few weeks with a new pup. Is it ok to start with a few hallway retrieves a day that young or is it all socialization and bonding at the start
    There is no good reason not to play train your puppy from the minute you bring it home at 7 weeks. Think of it like socializing. The things your puppy learns early he does not forget, they make a lasting impression on him. Not only will the puppy get a head start on training, done properly you can develop desirable qualities in your dog like trainability, memory and problem solving

www.TrainingRetrieverPuppies.com has a mannul and many videos illustrating positive training and positive results from puppy training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAmIt4SFS_c Casting drill 11 week old puppy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3gngcwsAYs Young dog using skill taught in the kitchen to do triples with short retired

Pat Nolan

Teach him his name, he'll learn the word "no" pretty quick, get his prey drive going and take him every where you can. I love to take new pup to the pre school, baseball and soccer games, to the local ball fields and wherever I can find people the pup must interact with. Get them in the water if weather permits and swim them as much as possible.

That YouTube link was wild! 11 weeks!?! I'm new to all this, so that really impresses me! And, I'm having trouble teaching SIT!! Nice Pat

A great book that I have learned to train by is The 10- Minute Retriever by John and Amy Dhal!! Excellent recourse to have!!! And as everyone has stated let him be a puppy for a while, it's quite enjoyable!