The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Excitement to retrieve

Default Excitement to retrieve

Hello all, I have been lurking/reading and decided to join up to hopefully learn more and meet new folks.
    I've had the bug for a new retriever for sometime now and bought a 3 month old black lab off a college football player who couldnt keep him due to his football obligations. He is not registered but "supposedly" came from hunting stock, I keep him in my home and from day one he did not seem to have the urge or want to retrieve. At 5 months I chose to send him to a trainer to see if it was something I was or was not doing.... He is back home and still does not seem to care to retrieve. He acts more like an older family dog more than he does a puppy and is a perfect house dog, obedient, house broken, doesnt chew on things. I just wish I could build his desire to retrieve, he will retrieve 3-4 times and is done with it, even at that he just kinda lopes to the squeaky toy and will not retrieve a bumper at all. I raise quail so I took a live one out to see how he acted towards that, he will retrieve it and bring back but still has no eagerness or spunk about it !
    I dont want to give up on the pup and thats the main reason I chose to spend the money on a trainer hoping he could do better than myself but unfortionately that was not the case...
    So im curious if anyone else has dealt with this and what if anything did you do to change thier desire or looking for ideas to try ? Any and all info is appreciated.
    Thanks and have a great day !

What kind of trainer and what was their opinion?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    What kind of trainer and what was their opinion?
    He raises and trains British labs for hunting and hunt test. He was at a loss honestly and wanted me to bring him back home to give the dog a change and see if his attitude changed.

I have an older dog that had the same problem but maybe not to that degree. I would recommend getting him worked up. tease him with the bumper before throwing it. Treat him like a puupy and only throw a few, leaving him wanting more. Do not let him get to the point where he doesn't want more. slowly work your way up to more and more. make it as fun a possible

Don't give up yet. Some dogs wake up late. My Shadow was that way. What finally worked for me was drag racing him with another dog (Jack). You need the right kind of dog to pair with him. Jack was very laid back as it relates to other dogs. He was a super good retriever and had good ground speed but showed no aggression toward other dogs.

So the procedure we used. Both dogs on a long check cord with one person holding each dog. Have a helper throw a dead duck out about 20-25 yds. Let Jack retrieve and return. Throw duck again. Holding on to both check cords. We let Jack go, then sent Shadow. Jack got there first but Shadow really wanted the duck. The next time we reversed the sends. Shadow first, then Jack. Shadow was like greased lightning to get there first. He was a retrieving fool after that.

Again it takes the right kind of dog to pair with yours. Your pro should know which dog and how to do this.

I hope this helps.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by PatDuck View Post
    I have an older dog that had the same problem but maybe not to that degree. I would recommend getting him worked up. tease him with the bumper before throwing it. Treat him like a puupy and only throw a few, leaving him wanting more. Do not let him get to the point where he doesn't want more. slowly work your way up to more and more. make it as fun a possible
    Thanks for the reply, actually from reading here that is what I picked up on and doing. I noticed when he comes in from outside he is excited so thats when I try to incorporate some retrieves inside ! He is so laid back its hard to excite him over anything ! Lol

You say when he comes in from outside. Where is he kept?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    You say when he comes in from outside. Where is he kept?
    In the house, I was referring to after letting him out of the kennel in the morning for bathroom duties he is really excited coming back in so thats when I try to incorporate some retrieves.

Try a clipped wing pigeon and watch him light up, you gotta get that prey drive going.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    Try a clipped wing pigeon and watch him light up, you gotta get that prey drive going.
    Used a pen raised quail which is not flight conditioned so it wouldnt fly far, he did retrieve but it was still that laid back lope to it ! I let him play with it until it finally died and did one last toss then put it up in the freezer. Im fixing to butcher some quail and I was gonna save the wings and feathers and store bumpers in with them to absorb scent maybe.