The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Excitement to retrieve

  1. #11
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Time and continued excitement is your only hope. Maybe something will click. You might try shooting the dog some duck flyers if it's been gun conditioned. The trainer input sounds pretty weak.

    Obviously 'hunting bloodlines' doesn't mean anything to anybody (including you) and unregistered casts even more doubt on background.

    I'm not a cheerleader in these situations but do hope it works itself out.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

  2. #12
    Senior Member Wayne Nutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    Access to quail reminds me of the quail trick. I have only had to resort to it once but it worked. I would try the other things first but as a last resort try the quail trick. Trick isn't a
    good choice of words but all I can think of now . Sharon Potter posted a detailed explanation of the procedure. I would do a advanced search of quail and Sharon Potter. Maybe she'll jump in with the link.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

    HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,067

    Default

    I hope you can bring out the best in this dog. What is it that you want to accomplish with it? Do you see yourself running Hunt-Tests? Are you interested in running it in the higher stakes (Master level) and/or earning a title?

  4. #14
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    I hope you can bring out the best in this dog. What is it that you want to accomplish with it? Do you see yourself running Hunt-Tests? Are you interested in running it in the higher stakes (Master level) and/or earning a title?
    My take is he's just trying to get it birdy.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    My take is he's just trying to get it birdy.
    You are correct. And to answer your earlier post, I do believe that bloodlines/pedigree's carry thier weight.....at the time I was doing a friend a favor plus wanting a new pup. I felt that I owed it to the dog to get some professional training/opinions before I gave up on him to which I am still not ready to do...in the end if he still doesnt show interest atleast I can say I tried and chalk it up as a lesson.
    Yes I could have just as easy put him off on someone else and taken the money and invested into another litter.
    I will place him in a home of someone that is looking for a pet to which he will make a great companion as a house dog at my expense.

  6. #16
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by X-Tennessean View Post
    You are correct. And to answer your earlier post, I do believe that bloodlines/pedigree's carry thier weight.....at the time I was doing a friend a favor plus wanting a new pup. I felt that I owed it to the dog to get some professional training/opinions before I gave up on him to which I am still not ready to do...in the end if he still doesnt show interest atleast I can say I tried and chalk it up as a lesson.
    Yes I could have just as easy put him off on someone else and taken the money and invested into another litter.
    I will place him in a home of someone that is looking for a pet to which he will make a great companion as a house dog at my expense.
    Sounds like a plan. Best of luck. Sounds like your eyes are wide open and that's 1/2 the battle.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Corinth MS
    Posts
    767

    Default

    I don't like using quail for this because they don't fight to get away and die too quick, a good pigeon or a shackled duck might perk him up. Don't feel bad if it doesn't I had one I had to wash out for the same thing out of one of the best litters on paper.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    I don't like using quail for this because they don't fight to get away and die too quick, a good pigeon or a shackled duck might perk him up. Don't feel bad if it doesn't I had one I had to wash out for the same thing out of one of the best litters on paper.
    Thank you very much for the reply, sorry yours didn't work out either...kinda proves that lineage isn't a guarantee.
    I will try a pigeon and noticed the quail didn't last long at all !! It did perk him up a little more but not what I would like to see.

  9. #19

    Default

    I have a rescue dog that does the same thing and today used live pigeion for her to retrieve. It took my Brittany running around with it In his mouth to get her interested in it. But she finally took it from him and did 2 retreives an I pulled the bird why whe was going nuts trying to get it.

    I just uts picked up some more birds and she will get tons of live birds for now on. I don't have the option of getting a dog from a good line with my wife being so involved in rescue work so I go every direction possible to get the dog going some times it takes a long time to figure it out.

    Try a wing on a string to get him going and hyped up .

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Longview Texas
    Posts
    585

    Default

    First off I would like to say that I agree fully with all of the previous posts and trying to get your dog to love retrieving is what you should do first and foremost. However, and I will say this is not going to be popular, sometimes you have to think outside the box and do things a little backward. I have had a few dogs that have come through that the owners just wanted a hunting companion and nothing more but the dog had little to no desire and would not retrieve a fun bumper. The dog you describe is obviously compliant and trainable or you would not have been able to train obedience. If I were a betting man I would say that your dog is praise driven. If so as a last resort consider moving forward and force fetching the dog. I know there is going to be wailing and gnashing of teeth over that statement but if your dog is compliant as you describe it will be just like any other skill that you have trained and enforced. Dogs like that sometimes need to be made to do it so that they can find out its fun later on. Only then are you going to bring whatever is in there to the surface. If you are looking for a hunting companion I bet you will be successful with this method. If I'm wrong you won't be any worse off than you are now but I've seen it work.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •