The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Tying-up. Rhabdomyalysis

Default Tying-up. Rhabdomyalysis

Has any one experience of this? Apparently usually greyhounds but can be hunting and sled dogs. A bitch I bred (2yrs) very hard going had an episode yesterday undiagnosed but vet said could possibly be this. Symptoms sudden very high temperature and breathng difficulties, hunched back and difficulty walking. Occurred suddenly within about 15 minutes of fairly light work. OK now and temp started to drop within 3 hours. This is the second unexplained episode as an adult - last time ended up on a drip very ill again no idea what it was. We thought initially it was snake bite - always on a Sunday of course!
    If you play their game train the way they train

I take it the dog is eic tested?

I have delt with this in horses only .... Sooooo I might not be much help at all...

Marissa Everett

Instead of focusing on what’s missing, learn to appreciate what’s already there.

Rhabdo is some serious stuff, personally I do not think that is what your dog was experiencing. was the urine the color of coca-cola? In humans this is generally brought on by seriously over working the muscles, negative resistance training. Although I have read studies done on tri-athletes that say some of the ones tested exhibit minor stages of rhabdo after their event. But again I think you would have to work the crap outta your dog for this to happen. But I really have no clue what I'm talking about so who knows, trust in your vet.
    GMPR HR Snickelfritz of Bear Point SH "Fritz"

I also had only heard of it in horses. If it happens again will ask them to check urine. Thanks. But if it is not that what on earth is it? Definitely not EIC according to the vet. To me it is a real worry that this is the second time it has happened, the first being much worse.
    If you play their game train the way they train

Did your your vet run bloods? If rhabdomyolysis is occuring then there would be an elevation showing in levels of creatine phosphokinase - this indicates muscle damage of some sort.