The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rowdy (by Pirate) Blind under Poison Bird arc and 290 Mark

and then there are folks who leave the dog still and step over / around to end up on the other side.
    I am told even Mr. Lardy does the step around now and then with some dogs / people at the teaching events.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Paul, I am glad to see you participating in the discussion. I don't know the answer to your question. Since you ended the last sentence with a "?". In reading Lardy's article it appears he always repositions the dog even if only a one sided dog.
    Lardy doesn't particpate here but maybe Dennis will jump in and give us his thoughts.

I miss Howard!
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I have two sided dogs and on poison birds will re-heel them to the other side to help communicate this is a blind. I'm not sure how a communication method can be considered a crutch. There are times when doing big triples or quads or marks with blinds that would make re-heeling to the other side more confusing for the dog so there is a lot to consider before trying it. Only thing in that drill I would have done differently is not use the verbal on the first cast.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    This is Rowdy's third lesson with blinds and poison birds. The first was about 11/7/13 with Bumper Boys. Second was on 12/31/13 with ducks. So I am following Lardys's and taking it slow with a couple weeks between sessions. The first whistle was probably not necessary but I had him lined up a bit too much to the right and I didn't want him to back side the gun station. This is a known blind that we have run before.
    Following the Lardy technique to say "mark" before he retrieves poison bird and to let him know its now ok to retrieve it. But I messed up and said it after I had my hand down. Notice the head fake but he knew it was not his name. Good job Rowdy. Bad job Wayne.

There was a strong cross wind right to left. Blind is 150 yds, gun station is 60 yds.

http://s868.photobucket.com/user/way...1638e.mp4.html

This is a 290 yd mark. It is run up hill. There are several small levees in route and the mark is on top of a flat mesa kind of area. Notice there are two pops. I got this tip from Kim. See indicated that it helps because the launch from the winger is so quick after the pop. So I put two wingers out. The first one has just a popper. The second pop is when the duck is launched. It is a mallard hen that has been breasted and duct taped back together. I tried to hold it up so it could be seen but the back lighting was not good.

I tried to watch Rowdy and take a quick peek up but messed that up as I looked up on the first shot. Rowdy ran a little wide but hooked back into the bird. There was a strong tail wind.

http://s868.photobucket.com/user/way...fe003.mp4.html

With all the cold weather I had to buy a new handlers parka that would fit over my warm clothing. It is a snow goose camo parka from Cabela's.

Any constructive comments are welcome.
    Great job Wayne. Thanks for posting. I have my dog move to the other side as you did. I cue "no leave it" and heel him to the other side. I like doing that as it is clear what I want him to do. There is no confusion and when he comes in he knows he still has to pick up the mark. At Pat Burn's seminar he said it was much neater if you stepped over the dog to change sides. We are starting to get the hang of stepping over but sometimes just change sides the old way.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Ok, next video shackled pidgeon out of the winger run the same known blind. Don't reposition the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Ok, next video shackled pidgeon out of the winger run the same known blind. Don't reposition the dog.
    Why?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Why?

/Paul
    Same reason some might run past a crate of live ducks before running poison bird blinds uncontrolled out of a launcher.

ML, I'm getting to the age where I have trouble stepping over a broom stick much less a dog. LOL!
    But I would like to see that technique. Can you video it and post here ?
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 01-14-2014 at 05:14 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    ML, I'm getting to the age where I have trouble stepping over a broom stick much less a dog. LOL!
    But I would like to see that technique. Can you video it and post here ?
    I'm guessing around or "over" to the other side. Seen folks who do this on honor at a HT. Different reason obviously. From a dogs standpoint I wonder how the two might correlate?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I'm guessing around or "over" to the other side. Seen folks who do this on honor at a HT. Different reason obviously. From a dogs standpoint I wonder how the two might correlate?
    I bet the folks that step over on the honor only do so if taking their hat off to wipe the sweat out of their eyes doesn't seem like it is going to get the message across

I know a couple of folks who prefer to step over their dog if they need to on the line. Their rationale is that the last thing they want to do at that stage is to heel the dog to the other side. Too much movement. For me, too much risk of not clearing the critter.