The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Pup from biting young children?

Default Keeping Pup from biting young children?

I will be getting a new pup in a couple of months and my wife's concern is the pup biting or nipping at our 1 yo son who loves dogs. I want my son to be able to be around the pup without having to constantly worry about him getting nipped at (I wouldn't leave him and the pup unattended together). I guess I am asking what is the best way to keep it from happening or limiting it from happening. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan

I just went through a similar issue with my dog and my wife. I took the pup and placed my wife's hands near the dogs mouth and when he went to bite her I rolled the skin on his top jowl around his canine tooth and applied a minimal amount of pressure, where he eventually got the idea that biting people equaled a little pressure and pain on his part.

A decent thump them on the nose and a stern "NO" should handle it pretty quickly. It's worked for us on both puppies. We have a 7 month old vizsla and my folks have a 9 month old lab. Both stopped nipping within about 4-6 weeks of us bringing them home. You can also grab them like a bass and put some pressure on the floor of their mouth, just under their tongue on the soft part, with your thumb. They'll let you know when it uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Trent Goree; 01-28-2014 at 09:09 AM.
    Trent

HR Goree's Flight School Drop Out SH "Maverick" 11/20/04---2/6/14
    Roux's Classy Lil' Bayou Princess "Sadee"
    Lean Grade of Dignified Troubles "Gracee"

My approach is to control the child/puppy interactions in the early stages. One way is to hold the puppy, get him or her relaxed and calm, and then encourage the child to pet the puppy as you hold him/her. Avoiding uncontrolled interactions prevents development of bad habits--very easy when the child's movement and vocalizations elicit an excited play response from the puppy.

Amy Dahl

Amy, that does make good sense. Our one year old son has Down syndrome and until his speech develops later on, he tends to just yell/scream with excitement when he is around our 9 yo dog. He is very much an animal lover, especially dogs. So I need to find a way to relax and calm our son, so he doesn't scare the pup as well...Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jax View Post
    Amy, that does make good sense. Our one year old son has Down syndrome and until his speech develops later on, he tends to just yell/scream with excitement when he is around our 9 yo dog. He is very much an animal lover, especially dogs. So I need to find a way to relax and calm our son, so he doesn't scare the pup as well...Suggestions?
    My one year old son does not have down syndrome and he yells, screams, and "attacks" the dogs. (We have a 6 yo and 2 yo beagle). I am brining home a new puppy in a few weeks and quiet frankly I fear more for the puppy!

Your puppy will get used to the screaming, our dogs have.

Also, I am not working right now which is awesome! 99.9% of my day is spent entertaining and distracting my child. I am constantly taking "bad things" away from him and exchanging them with toys he CAN have... Just like a puppy!
    When your puppy is hyperactive and wants to play with your son just give the puppy something else to do and things it can chew on.

At one year old, and 8 weeks old, I don't expect much from either my child or my puppy. It's not like you can yell at them and expect them to understand. My day will be spent shaping behaviors and playing referee to the "kids".

My son is great with the other dogs as are they with him. But unless i can give 110% of my attention to them dogs are in a separate room of kennel end away from him...

Marissa Everett

Instead of focusing on what’s missing, learn to appreciate what’s already there.

I'm far from expert on children, especially those with special needs. I agree that puppies learn to deal with a lot without fear, especially if exposed to it during the primary socialization phase.

Instead of trying to control your son's mood, which might prove difficult, you can choose times for interactions with the puppy when he seems to be calm to start with. Then if you are holding the puppy, and it's not bowing and darting around, it might not inspire as much excitement in your son. Don't know if that will help.

Amy Dahl

I have a new pup (12 wks) who tends to only get "nippy" when she is super excited. Normally when we are throwing bumper and then I stop after a short stint. I have 2 boys 1 yr and 3 yr who love the dog and play with her all the time. She is much more gentle naturally with the 1 yr old than anyone else in the house. She does nip some, but he whacks her and says NO. I use the lip curl move and it is somewhat effective. Just keep watch so your child doesn't become scared, controlled interaction seems to work.

Lots of good advice. Thanks.

I am working with this at this very mopment. I have a 8yo and a 2yo both girls. The 2yo asserted herself right off. My little Barley dog is the oppisite of this. HE thinks he has to nip at everything. I roll his lip and it works for a few minutes but then it is back to trying to nibble on me. He will try and go for my girls hair but I usually grab him by the collar and a little tug fixes that. I do have to say he is starting to calm down a timy bit. but niot much he is only 14 wks now.