The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fetch a Goose

Default Fetch a Goose

My 3 yo chocolate has never seen a downed goose before. Had him out in the blind yesterday and downed a goose. He was plenty excited and fired up but had a hard time negotiating the fetch. As geese go it was a big one anyway. I didn't force it on him and tried to keep him excited about it. He's fine with dove, pheasant and duck but just the size of the goose seemed to confuse him. He circled it multiple times and mouthed it as if to fetch but would let it go and try to renegotiate it. Does anyone have any tips on how to start him on geese.
    Thanks
    -cn

Shoot more geese...after a few retrieves my dog figured it out pretty quick. Or used your prized goose from the other day as a training bird. Careful sending your dog on a cripple, a big canada can give a dog a bit of trouble., especially if they haven't seen many geese.

Yep, kill more geese. He sounds like he wants to and he will figure out how to grab them. Might help him a bit next time picking one up and holding it. Get him to carry it back to the blind. Even a "35 pound little girl dog" can carry a goose once they know how.
    This one came in, live, from a 1/4 mile away by a 10 month old pup.
    geese201217.jpg
    Have a ball. Don

Quote Originally Posted by Newf View Post
    Shoot more geese...after a few retrieves my dog figured it out pretty quick. Or used your prized goose from the other day as a training bird. Careful sending your dog on a cripple, a big canada can give a dog a bit of trouble., especially if they haven't seen many geese.
    A couple weeks ago, one of the guys I train with during the week, brought a training bird Goose that he had taken a day or two earlier, to our training day. Flinch has never seen a Goose before. She has picked up about every other bird including them silly possessed chickens!
    She had trouble with the goose, but by keeping the excitement high, teasing her with it, and throwing it a few times,, she finally figgered it out. Perfect body hold also..

Just keep hunting,, and throwing those Geese.. when they pick it up,, make a big deal out of it,, and really coax them to come to you,, even maybe running away clapping your hands to get them in..
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by Newf View Post
    Yep, shoot more geese and the dog will figure it out. It takes a little more skill in picking a goose up. I remember the first time I dropped a canada with my first dog, it was only winged and as the dog got close it it spread it's wings and neck out. The dog hit the goose, they both rolled and she came carrying the goose back with her head held high. Dog 1, goose 0.

Quote Originally Posted by scothuffman View Post
    Yep, shoot more geese and the dog will figure it out. It takes a little more skill in picking a goose up. I remember the first time I dropped a canada with my first dog, it was only winged and as the dog got close it it spread it's wings and neck out. The dog hit the goose, they both rolled and she came carrying the goose back with her head held high. Dog 1, goose 0.
    Yup!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHSXdVfDjlw
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Heres a trick that works every time. throw the goose (or shoot it) and make it land it water that the dog cannot touch the bottom in. They have no choice but to bring it back to land once they get out there to it.

obviously a dead goose is probably the best training tool but the first thing that came to mind for me is a Dokken goose. Anyone have any experience with them and are they worth the money?

a dokken goose is not going to work for a dog that wont pick up a real one. trust me, throw on in a pond or lake and watch what happens, the dog will go get it. once the dog realizes it can retrieve something that big, it will have confidence and it will soon do it on land too

Quote Originally Posted by PatDuck View Post
    obviously a dead goose is probably the best training tool but the first thing that came to mind for me is a Dokken goose. Anyone have any experience with them and are they worth the money?
    Previously live geese do work best, but yes a Dokkens does work, and works well. My dogs sole purpose is as field goose dog. A Dokkens teaches em to grab in the middle and it simulates the weight of a large canada pretty well.

I disagree with all the above posts that say just shoot more geese. Unless you are a great shot and never put a cripple on the ground, a cripple Canada can beat a dog to pieces with their flapping wings if the dog doesnt have a good proper hold on it. That is a quick way to turn a dog off to retrieving in a young inexperienced dog.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)