The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you handle this situation (teaching "back" casting to pile)

Default How do you handle this situation (teaching "back" casting to pile)

Just finished force to pile. We are now on day three of teaching back casting and he is doing great. I have run into a problem twice so far, the dog charges the pile so hard when given the back cast that sometimes he runs clean over the pile and doesn't realize it. What do you do when he gets past the pile? How do you correct him? he is not yet at the point of taking hand signals so I can't direct him back to it.

In a day or two I am going to start teaching over casting. It's not that big of a deal. Just wondering if anyone has ever had any issues with this.
    Last edited by CodyC; 01-14-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Add as many more 3" white bumpers to your back pile as you can afford to buy.
    Tim McGarry Jr
    AKC Retriever Hunt Test Judge # 95104

Are you working on simple casting (formerly called baseball)? Do you have some white bumpers in the back pile? What command did you use to get him through walking ff? Did you say "fetch"? So I would start out saying "fetch" when he gets close to the pile to solve this issue.

I use a check cord but teach simple casting before FTP.

When I start teaching the back cast in baseball I use a check cord
    and start with the command fetch, then fetch back and then back.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 01-14-2014 at 06:38 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

Yes simple casting. The pile is 70 yards from me and the dog is directly in the middle. Same position he will be when we start "t". I honestly think he just doesn't see the bumper. It only happened when there was only one bumper left in the pile. I guess I kind of answered my own question with the help of Tim from the previous post. It's not the cleanest field, it has grass about 6-8" high. I just need to make it more visible.

Cody,

I don't want to steer you away from whatever program you may be following. But while you're teaching these basic casts you'll have a much easier time efficiently managing things with a rope (or check cord), and by shortening your distances WAY up. Distance isn't important right now. Making the rules clear is. Just a suggestion.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

if I had 8" grass and one bumper I would give the benefit of the doubt. sit him and call him back.

if I had a golf green and 8 bumpers and he ran by them I would think it was avoidance and handle accordingly.

One way to avoid the high grass problem is using a bucket or a white post of some sort and associating the bumpers with that object.
    Darrin Greene

If you need to use this field, you may want to consider taking a weed whacker out there and trimming up the areas where you put your piles a bit. (that or just stomp the grass down nice and flat)
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    Yes simple casting. The pile is 70 yards from me and the dog is directly in the middle. Same position he will be when we start "t". I honestly think he just doesn't see the bumper. It only happened when there was only one bumper left in the pile. I guess I kind of answered my own question with the help of Tim from the previous post. It's not the cleanest field, it has grass about 6-8" high. I just need to make it more visible.
    I think pile work is best done on soccer field length grass. Be glad your dog has plenty of momentum.

Short grass, white bumpers. You can't force to pile on anything shorter than a hundred yards effectively. No idea how a rope would work a hundred yards long.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I have moved back to distances because he is nailing it so well. I worked up close for the first day and a half and it seemed pointless because he did so well. Thanks for all the help guys.