The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Bean Boot Repair

Default Bean Boot Repair

In over thirty years of use of Bean Boots, I finally put a hole in the rubber bottom of a Bean Boot. I stepped on sharp stick and I kept walking. I found the problem the next day as it felt like I had a foreign object stuck in my sock. I removed the boot and found the sharp stick that had thankfully been deflected by the steel arch support. I am not complaining. I just want to know if Shoe Goo will seal the hole.

I know I can have LL Bean put new bottoms on them. These bottoms are fairly new.

Spencer

I would plug the hole first with some liquid silicone like a plumber/handyman might use so the stuff will expand first and fill the cavity and then maybe the shoe goo or use some sort of bicycle tire patch kit that will bond better with the lug sole compound of the boot
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I stepped on a board with a nail sticking up in a brand new pair of lacrosse boots several years ago. I was bummed, cuz they were only a few weeks old. Anyway, I used a two part rubber epoxy. I used a small nail to shove the mixture into the hole and made sure to get as much in as I could. That was easily 8 years ago and they are still waterproof. I have used shoe goo on other applications and it works initially, but breaks down within a few months. Good luck

I've had excellent results patching waders and boots with Aquaseal. On soles be sure to stuff it in the hole as teacher504 suggests.

Not sure if they still do it, but LL Bean would take back any damaged or worn out shoe and send a new pair no quesitons asked.