The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunt Tests VS. Field Trials

Default Hunt Tests VS. Field Trials

Just read the post on FTs and it seems as though winning is out of reach. Does this mean dogs with an FC title are a rare breed, or are titles received without winning? Second question; I realize that there is a difference in the ht and ft what is that difference and is the ht less competitive? Sorry for my ignorance, but I hAd never really even thought about trying to run in any event until I started reading on this forum, now I'm curious and want to know more about the sport. Thanks.

Jared

Hunt tests are not competitive trials are. Hunt tests are against a standard, meet the standards get a pass. A certain number of passes and you get a title. To get a FC or AFC you have to have an all breed win in a trial. Very tough to get. A win gets you 5 points. You need 10 points with a win for FC and 15 points with a win for an AFC.

Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    Hunt tests are not competitive trials are. Hunt tests are against a standard, meet the standards get a pass. A certain number of passes and you get a title. To get a FC or AFC you have to have an all breed win in a trial. Very tough to get. A win gets you 5 points. You need 10 points with a win for FC and 15 points with a win for an AFC.

Russell
    Another words, a dog with FC AFC or especially NFC are very special dogs. Hunt tests are like playing basketball, if you can hit a few free throws and dribble the ball you make the team (everyone who can do this makes the team), field trials you must be the best and win to make the team. Only one dog each year out of thousands of very good retrievers will get the coveted NFC title truly something special.

Many dogs can enter and do well in hunt test but couldn't begin to finish a first series in the open field trial, my dog being one of them. Hope this helps. Go watch both venues you will see in short order the difference in the dogs.

Good luck with your dogs.

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)

AKC Field Trial Rules:
    http://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RFTRET.pdf

AKC Hunt Test Rules:
    http://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RHTRET.pdf

HRC Hunt Test Rules:
    http://huntingretrieverclub.org/PDF/2013HRRulebook.pdf

You can find more info: AKC.org or Huntingretrieverclub.org

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman0612 View Post
    Just read the post on FTs and it seems as though winning is out of reach. Does this mean dogs with an FC title are a rare breed, or are titles received without winning? Second question; I realize that there is a difference in the ht and ft what is that difference and is the ht less competitive? Sorry for my ignorance, but I hAd never really even thought about trying to run in any event until I started reading on this forum, now I'm curious and want to know more about the sport. Thanks.

Jared

Jared

I suggest that you find a HT and a FT near you this spring and check them out first hand.

HT are run against a standard, and to that extent, are not competitive. But, human beings being what they are, people start measuring themselves by total points accumulated, number of Master National Passes, etc. As a species, we humans find a way to make everything competitive. But, at the individual HT Level, the tests are supposed to be measured by a standard, and hence, non-competitive

In contrast, FT are by definition competitive. And as is true in most human competitive endeavors, to be at the top of the competitive pyramid requires a great deal of talent (from the handler, but mostly the dog), a great deal of training, a great deal of time and commitment, and typically a great deal of money. Think about the time, money, and energy, that Tiger Woods, Linday Vonn, and Mary Lou Retton - and their families - invested to reach the competitive peak.

There are attractions to either HT or FT, and detriments also. Which one is right for you? Check it out and I think you will find relatively quickly which venue you prefer (and there are some that do both). In any event, the key is to work with your dog and have fun.

Ted
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman0612 View Post

Jared
    A little over 5 years ago I was introduced to the hunt test game and got my very first lab. I then joined a hunt test club, got just about every video I could get my hands on and started training 6 days a week. My dog now her master title and we are now running field trials. Is winning an amateur or an open out of reach I don't think so but even if I don’t I’m sure enjoying the ride.
    Terry C.

You can't win if you don't play, every dog has his day

Sunny Dee Light MH QAA (Sunny)
    Sunny's Black Gold Texas Tea, Derby Dog (Crude)

I also have a question regarding the HT FT titles and such. What and how does a dog get "derby" points. Is a derby different from a Field trial? Also how does a dog get the "QAA" title? Is that a field trial title?

Don't mean to hyjack the thread, but though the questions were related.

Derby points are awarded by placing 1st - 4th in a derby. The points are not counted toward the titles of FC or AFC, only for the derby list. QAA is not an official title. It means a dog has won 1st or 2nd in a qualifying stake of a trial or placed or jammed in an all age stake, open or am.

Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    Derby points are awarded by placing 1st - 4th in a derby. The points are not counted toward the titles of FC or AFC, only for the derby list. QAA is not an official title. It means a dog has won 1st or 2nd in a qualifying stake of a trial or placed or jammed in an all age stake, open or am.

Russell
    Thanks Russell

Each venue is challenging in of itself especially for an amat. And you will be just as nervous in a hunt test as a field trial. But pick the venue that best suits you. Try hunt tests and if you want more pressure in training and competing go the field trials.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)