The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunt Tests VS. Field Trials

What does the *** after a title mean? (e.g. MH***)

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Qualified All Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Got my first purebred Lab in 1998. Happenstance put me with a local trainer and HT group. I'd never fired a gun, wouldn't touch a duck back then. Don't think I've ever been so nervous as my first JH attempt, and pretty crushed when we failed it. I have a lot of dogs now, MH, one QAA, finished my first derby last summer and ran a few Amateurs. But I'll never forget my first backyard-bred chocolate from nothing that gave me everything. He only made SH, but, he started me on this roadtrip that I wouldn't trade for much of anything else.

Doesn't matter what venue you pick, try them all, find what suits you, what you can afford in time and resources for training and running. It's all good, from JH to FC, as long as you're enjoying the ride with your dogs, don't let anyone convince you that any of those ribbons are meaningless. Every one of them will mean something to you.
    Awesome post Kim!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post

Actually nothing

Some people have started to use it to show as DoubleHaul said that a dog is Qualified All Age but since there isn't a title for QAA in reality it is nothing. It just means a dog has qualified to run all age stakes but there are even exceptions to this rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Got my first purebred Lab in 1998. Happenstance put me with a local trainer and HT group. I'd never fired a gun, wouldn't touch a duck back then. Don't think I've ever been so nervous as my first JH attempt, and pretty crushed when we failed it. I have a lot of dogs now, MH, one QAA, finished my first derby last summer and ran a few Amateurs. But I'll never forget my first backyard-bred chocolate from nothing that gave me everything. He only made SH, but, he started me on this roadtrip that I wouldn't trade for much of anything else.

Doesn't matter what venue you pick, try them all, find what suits you, what you can afford in time and resources for training and running. It's all good, from JH to FC, as long as you're enjoying the ride with your dogs, don't let anyone convince you that any of those ribbons are meaningless. Every one of them will mean something to you.
    I like your post as well Kim, nicely put. I love both venues and truly believe that hunt tests help with field trial dogs, where others may disagree that hunt test will ruin a field trial dog. My next field trial dog I plan on doing the same... HRC started, then JH, SH and MH. Besides like you, it was a great way to get out there and learn with my 1st retriever in all venues. The hunt test people are great!! Being it not (so) competitive, lots of good times to be had... lunches, dinners, raffles, good people, good fun! Enjoying the ride like you.... so many nice memories to reflect on!

Barb
    Ten - BLM - FC AFC Bluenorth's Rock Hard Ten MH (at stud)
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...Ten-MH-QAA-WCX

http://www.lanesend.com/2012/02/rock...d-to-beat.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Canidae - Natural Pet Foods - http://www.canidae.com
    K9 Advantix II- Take a bite out of Fleas, Ticks & Mosquitoes - http://www.advantixiicanine.com/
    OllyDog - New Tricks in Gear for Dogs - www.Ollydog.com

To answer your question. No Field Trial are not out of anyone’s reach. Commitment and knowledge is what keeps most people from doing well in FT's. People not willing to commit to training the dog or don't have the knowledge to train correctly.
    And yes a FC or AFC dog is a rare dog. Because they are the best of the best.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

DKR,

The first time you qualified a dog it meant NOTHING to you?

Respectfully,

There probably are people it means nothing to. I pity them.

I'm not one of them. I used money that I put aside from a tight budget to buy the dogs. (two of them)

Trained as hard and smart as I could with a small training group made up of talented amateurs, six or 7 days a week, for 2+ years.

Handled both of them myself in all-breed trials against pro and amateur trained dogs, and won. It meant A LOT to me.

Good luck to you!-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    There probably are people it means nothing to. I pity them.

I'm not one of them. I used money that I put aside from a tight budget to buy the dogs. (two of them)

Trained as hard and smart as I could with a small training group made up of talented amateurs, six or 7 days a week, for 2+ years.

Handled both of them myself in all-breed trials against pro and amateur trained dogs, and won. It meant A LOT to me.

Good luck to you!-Paul
    Nice, that's what I mean by commitment. Very few are willing to spend the time it takes to train a dog to be great.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by DKR View Post
    Actually nothing

Some people have started to use it to show as DoubleHaul said that a dog is Qualified All Age but since there isn't a title for QAA in reality it is nothing. It just means a dog has qualified to run all age stakes but there are even exceptions to this rule.
    It depends. QAA only allows you to run certain stakes, for a certain period of time. I get that. However it doesn't mean nothing. It is not a title, but it is a designation that GRCA does use. *** is for a dog that has earned first or second in a Q or a JAM or placement in an AA stake (the basic QAA). It also has a ** designation for dogs that earn a placement or a JAM in the derby or a 3rd, 4th or JAM in a Q. It also has a FDHF or field dog hall of fame for earning points in AA stakes.