The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Impossible vs Difficult

Quote Originally Posted by K92line View Post
    ...... I'm all about dreaming again with two young dogs.

Respectfully,

Nancy White
    Very cool,
    is one a Toller?
    This is a great thread, thank you.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by EJ View Post
    Always keep Ithaca in your mind.
    To arrive there is your ultimate goal.
    I got lost in the pick up truck going to Baldwinsville, NY.
    from Burlington, VT and ended up in that town.
    It was not all that great.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Nancy,

Thank you for the encouraging words.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Impossible vs Difficult your dreams could be your dog's nightmares. It's amazing what we make our dogs do to stroke our egos. Was it worth it from your dog's point of view? I doubt it. We have gotten so far from hunting situations, especially field trials, that we can hardly make the connection between them and we expect the dogs to cope with it. I hope your dog gets as much out of being a titled dog as you do. I'm not criticizing you but just viewing things from the dog's point of view. We should stand back some times and make sure we have our dog's best interests at heart while we are on the road to even more accomplishments.
    Cooper I feel sorry for you. It is obvious you have never worked with a well bred, gung ho retriever. I have said it before and I will again, I have a couple of dogs that would walk right past a T-bone steak to get to the mat for some marks. Its what I am not willing or able to do that keeps them from advancing. Maybe for a few ego enters into it. For them I hope their pockets are deep enough to support those talented dogs. For a lot more of us than you know, the training and observing of these magnificent creatures is what it's all about. If the stars ever align just so, a placement would be fabulous for the reasons expressed in Nancy's quote. But the joy is in the love and admiration for a good dog that lives to retrieve "just one more, Mom".
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Miss Nancy your post is a delightful read to me. I got in this sport because I loved dogs. I also liked sports. The idea of competing with the dogs just went hand in hand. I never had any huge successes but the action has kept me going. I don't run much now but this spring I am judging 4 events to give back to this great game.. Thank you for helping newbies understand this thing we do...,
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

I have read with great interest the recent threads on how impossible Field trials are and the Field Trial vs Hunt Tests threads. By no means am I an expert in either venue but I will admit to titling dogs in both venues. Was it easy? Of course not. Impossible, certainly not. As a complete and utter newbie, I started Hunt Test with Tollers. As I didn't really know anyone that had this breed that was running successfully at the upper levels, I neglected to do my research. If i had done some research I would have learned that there were no Master Hunter Tollers. In fact, Tollers were not an AKC breed. So in order to play the game I did NAHRA and I went to Canada and ran CKC Hunt tests. Thank goodness no one mentioned to me that I had undertaken an impossible task. Was it tough to get good assistance? Of course. No one really wanted a San Francisco Bay Area House Wife and her 32 pound red fluff ball. But one trainer, did. I am forever grateful to Jim Dobbs for NOT] sending me away and telling me not to bother, telling me I would NEVER succeed. It was impossible. Instead, Jim said, let's give it a try. So we did.

I guess that saying where there is a will there is.........That dog ended up getting Master titles in three venues. Enter, a black lab puppy. She was left over from a litter. No one really wanted Lily. She was small, from a good Dam and a good sire, but not a well known breeding. I took her. My first Field Trial dog, FC/AFC Knollwood Sweet Lily and she qualified for two Nationals in spite of battling injuries from about five. Lily is pretty much retired now. Oh, then there is Shooter, my next Toller, both CKC and AKC Master titles. Passed the Master National in both the US and Canada. Now for the truly impossible, Qualified All Age.

Did I have great mentoring? You bet I did. Did I work hard? Yep. Have I been lucky? Unbelievably Lucky. Did I have the resources to play? Yes, I did. But Impossible. Nope.

Everyone starts with that first dog. Of course it is easier if that first one is a good one. But the road to titling dogs has been traveled by many and everyone started at the beginning.

Please understand that I absolutely did not list my accomplishments to solicit kudos, but rather to encourage not discourage people from trying. I am sure that i was voted least likely to continue in the sport from many who saw me and Halsey back in the year 2000. I take great pride in the "trying".

I don't think any of the Athletes competing in the Olympics would tell you that it has been easy. They have worked unbelievably hard. Field Trials are hard. Lot's of disappointment. The journey, unbelievably rewarding.

If you want to get better, you will. If you want to go far, you can. I do agree you must have the right dog. You need good training, good grounds and all the right stuff, but it is NOT impossible.

A great quote by Robert F. Kennedy. "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."

I am so hesitant to post this. I am not very thick skinned. I don't want lots of awful things said to me. I am going to post this hoping that one more person gives the impossible a try. What a ride.

All the best to all of you that love your dogs and dare to dream. In fact, I'm all about dreaming again with two young dogs.

Respectfully,

Nancy White
    Great post Thank you Nancy!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

An short addendum to my original post. Several people have asked me privately about the truly impossible. Getting my Toller, Shooter QAA. We accomplished that on a bright Sunny day that I will never ever forget in 2009. If anyone tries to tell me that FT folks aren't supportive i reflect back in that day. I was at the Open when placements were made for the Q. You could hear the clapping and cheering a mile away. All for a little red dog. A day to remember. Those are such wonderful memories. Ahh Ithaca. I get it.

Nancy

An short addendum to my original post. Several people have asked me privately about the truly impossible. Getting my Toller, Shooter QAA. We accomplished that on a bright Sunny day that I will never ever forget in 2009. If anyone tries to tell me that FT folks aren't supportive i reflect back in that day. I was at the Open when placements were made for the Q. You could hear the clapping and cheering a mile away. All for a little red dog. A day to remember. Those are such wonderful memories. Ahh Ithaca. I get it.

Nancy
    I remember meeting you and Shooter back then, doesn't seem that long ago. Then and now you have been nothing but supportive of me and my dogs, you manage to be highly competitive and truly a booster of other dogs at the same time, a very rare quality in our sport. As for Cooper, I'm sure he never saw Shooter or Lily run, if he did he wouldn't have written what he did.

Best to you, say hello to my training buddies in Florida.

John

2tall Open your eyes and look around is all that I can tell you. I have titled many dogs like the kind you have. But I have also seen dogs with there tails at six o'clock and miserable. Some ran by nationally known professionals. I have seen dogs pushed to be the youngest dog to achieve a title (this happens too much) and watching them run wasn't pleasant but some achieved it anyway and quite frankly it made you think that the trainer needed his ass kicked. Some trainers subscribe to kick, shoot and electrocute to train their dogs instead of teaching them. It sounds like Nancy did it the right way and I congratulate her.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    2tall Open your eyes and look around is all that I can tell you. I have titled many dogs like the kind you have. But I have also seen dogs with there tails at six o'clock and miserable. Some ran by nationally known professionals. I have seen dogs pushed to be the youngest dog to achieve a title (this happens too much) and watching them run wasn't pleasant but some achieved it anyway and quite frankly it made you think that the trainer needed his ass kicked. Some trainers subscribe to kick, shoot and electrocute to train their dogs instead of teaching them. It sounds like Nancy did it the right way and I congratulate her.
    Wow! Quite a statement. I've heard stories about the early days of the e-collar that were kind of as you describe, but in the almost 20 years of trailing and judging field trials, I haven't seen it. I'm sure Carol has looked around with wide open eyes. Also this seems like a strange thread to push your agenda on.