The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: new to the forum and need some advice

Default new to the forum and need some advice

I live in Georgia and I have a 6 yr old Choc. Lab. whos name is Wade. All of his training I have done myself and yes I have made plenty of mistakes. He does very well with obedience on leash and off as long as we are not in our yard. As soon as I get him off leash in the yard I have a hard time controlling him. Has anybody here had experience with this and have any advice for me please. Any nuggets would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Dogs are place oriented, that is they associate expected patterns of behavior with the type of location they're in.

This is pretty common. I read some where that you need to do ob in about five different places. I don't necessarily count the different places but we do ob at multiple locations.
    Take your dog on walks through your neighbor and local park and work on ob.

Edit: oops I misread your issue. Is he free to roam the yard while you are away? And chase squirrels?
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 01-16-2014 at 04:29 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

He has the whole back yard. He is not kept in a kennel. Should I keep him in a kennel and only get him out when we do OB?

I believe you just need to transfer to off lead OB, either with a tab, or a light line. Probably a light line first, the object would be for him to drag it around, get comfortable, then he learns that you still have a means to correct him, even when he think he's free to do what he wants. You need to have methods in place and be consistent in correcting him whenever you give a command, otherwise he'll continue to blow you off, whenever he thinks he can get away with it.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-16-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    I believe you just need to transfer to off lead OB, either with a tab, or a light line. Probably a light line first, the object would be for him to drag it around, get comfortable, then he learns that you still have a means to correct him, even when he think he's free to do what he wants. You need to have methods in place and be consistent in correcting him whenever you give a command, otherwise he'll continue to blow you off, whenever he thinks he can get away with it.
    Q
    What do you mean by light line? I have a tab and a check cord. Thanks for the advice. Anymore will be greatly appreciated.

Just got in from working on some Ob on leash. Ran him around the neighborhood a couple times before starting to burn off some energy. Did great on the leash with no pressure. I could drop the leash and he would do just as good. Couple fun bumpers at the end and things were good, until I heeled him back to the back yard off leash and as soon as we walk through the gate he bolts and won't come to here or heel. Just runs around like a wild man. I know I messed up somewhere and it's not his fault so I am keeping my composure. Getting frustrating. Going to keep at it though.

Quote Originally Posted by WRwade14 View Post
    Just got in from working on some Ob on leash. Ran him around the neighborhood a couple times before starting to burn off some energy. Did great on the leash with no pressure. I could drop the leash and he would do just as good. Couple fun bumpers at the end and things were good, until I heeled him back to the back yard off leash and as soon as we walk through the gate he bolts and won't come to here or heel. Just runs around like a wild man. I know I messed up somewhere and it's not his fault so I am keeping my composure. Getting frustrating. Going to keep at it though.
    As mention earlier, leave a 6 foot lead on the dog when in the yard and let dog run around with it on. You now have a means to have control in enforcing your commands.
    Also don't give a command unless you can enforce it.

Have fun.

I think he has made the connection that the yard is where he gets to do whatever he wants. Which is true when you are gone. So you have to change his perception. 8 ' lead suggested is good. Not letting him be a yard dog while you are away is another.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"