1. Cuban Adjustment Act of 1966..allows Cubans who set foot on US soil immediate refuge with NO expulsion.
Entitled immediately for-
b. Food Stamps
d. Supplemental Security Income aka SSI
2. Many current Cuban welfare recipients go back and forth between the USA and Cuba and as long as they return BEFORE two years they can live and get welfare checks in Cuba. Florida State Representative Manny Diaz, Jr (Hialeah , FL) has had many constituents complain about this practice. Diaz wants it to be stopped.
3. Thousands of Cubans since the warming of US-Cuban relations are fearful they will lose this "favored" position and have been fleeing Cuba. In 2015 44,000 Cubans migrated to the US.
4. They have been flying into Ecuador, taking rail/bus to Mexico and walking into the US.Recently Ecuador stopped Cubans with no visas to enter their country. 8,000 Cubans were deported to Costa Rica from Ecuador due to these visa violations. These 8,000 are now being flown to El Salvador and on to Mexico where they will enter the US.
5. Once they enter the US they are entitled to the #1 benefits. They have to remain in the US for one year and one day and they can apply for a permanent green card.
Now what are all the Presidential candidates going to do about this come January 2017 ? Should the Cubans remain special ? Jed, Ted, and Marco especially?