Right to work or right to be maimed or killed?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right to work or right to be maimed or killed?

Default Right to work or right to be maimed or killed?

Copied from Bloomberg News:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...mbs/ar-BByCt0v

Who need Unions? -Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Lock out. Tag out.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- 2016)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

How many offending owners go to jail? The Massachusetts pharmaceutical compounding owner just got convicted yesterday for twenty-five incidents of people who died. They died for contaminated filthy drugs his company made. He was not convicted for their deaths but for the drug contaminations he was warned about and did nothing. Big coal mine disaster a while back and the owner got one year in jail. How many died? People are cheap .

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post

Who need Unions
    ? -Paul
    Do you really believe union representation would have made this not happen?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post

Who need Unions? -Paul
    I think you overvalue what unions can do for workers. I'm not against unions, but I think you have to be reasonable with the latitude they can have on any job site.

You really want to take on the issue of whether American unions provide/provided better work/safety conditions.? How many of you even know what "sweat shops" , piece or group work is, and mandatoty overtime? Got calluses on your hands? Based on previous RTF posts, easy to find, many claim unions are "feather bedding" and you are all rugged individuals whose family and self did it all with no help? Can you stand the scrutiny of investigation? I like the 40 hr work week, overtime, vacations, medical benefits (or not) but did not often get. Go slumming @ Carls, MciD, etc, WalMart, and all the other southern tier states where the mantra, is we don't want those unions, even tho they raised your standard of living. Unions brought more for all until the backsliders started hiring illegals.Crooked , pay dues, favoritism, what a bunch of union haters. Cheap labor was replaced when folks got those government subsidized MIC jobs/bases/equipment and lower Fed taxes for less state contributions? Now we got folks who think a Japanese/Korean /Chinese job is nifty since all the good jobs are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Do you really believe union representation would have made this not happen?
    My scope of experience is very limited, as you know, but where I have worked for the past 41 years, we now have a safety committee made up of representatives from both the Union and the Company. That was not the case in the 70's when I was hired. The 'meat wagon' was busy in those days! Since it's inception, deaths and serious injuries have declined precipitously. It took some very contentious negotiation, including 2 strikes, to get where our Shipyard is today. The culture was slow to change, but the Company and the Insurance Agent would never go back to the bad old days. Healthy workers are in everyone's best interests.

According to the article I posted, these companies are not yet convinced or concerned enough to do what's right for their workforce. -Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Paul, shipyard question. Trump wants to expand to a 350 ship navy or something like that.
    Currently I believe we're building 2 nuclear submarines a year. If he ordered 4 to be build per year, for example, how many years would it take to ramp up to produce just 2 more reactor cores and how many years would it take to train new welders?
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- 2016)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Paul,
    It would be interesting to see if there is a significant difference in in general trend toward improved safety records in the shipbuilding/ship repair industries between union yards and non-union yards. I guess to state it more clearly, general safety in shipyards has drastically improved over the last 20, 40, 80 years. Has it improved at a faster rate or to a higher degree in union yards?
    Matt

When I retired from the US Navy I worked for 7 years supporting the Naval Sea Systems Command in foreign military sales. We were reactivating and transferring our old decommissioned ships to foreign navies. We avoided US Naval Shipyards and private unionized yards like the plague. I was the contractor's ship reactivation and transfer manager. We did it faster always on or ahead of schedule, cheaper on or below customer budgets, and with the same QA specs and repair standards as the Navy yards. We also never had a personnel accident. All the ships we transferred were 1200psi steam, diesel, or gas turbine propulsion plants. We did do a couple diesel electrics as well.