The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saying No to a BYB without being preachy?

Default Saying No to a BYB without being preachy?

My dentist yesterday asked me as my mouth was stuffed with torture instruments, hoses and vacumns, "Aren't you the one that has purebred labs"?. Nnh, nnh, nnh I replied. "Oh, sorry" as he removes all the hardware. "My girl is coming in heat next week and I want to breed her. How much would it cost?" After spitting and choking from the dentistry and his question I told him I did not breed my dogs. I explained that when and if one of them ever proved really successful I might think about it. Never having even seen my dogs, he was still pushing for it, because his girl had papers and was smart! I just said "no I don't think so" without telling him that I would never consider a bitch without health clearances and would prefer only those with at least a working history. He commented that these days people get really upset when they find out he breeds. I could have gone on and on about "responsible breeding", but to what point? I am not the dog police but at the same time I almost feel guilty for not telling him more. Where does our responsibility end? Would it make any difference if we shot down all these hobby breeders' hopes? How do other male dog owners respond? Besides, you do NOT want to piss off your dentist when he has the drill in his hands!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Should have told him that you typically get $7,500 for a stud fee but for him you would do it for $5,000

Hey Penn, what about a barter instead? Say one root canal and a crown? Nah, he'd still be getting the better deal!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I get calls fairly often from guys wanting me to use their dog on my females. One guy...only one....had health clearances, OFA, pedigree (and a nice one!), etc. available, and has a very nice dog, even though he doesn't compete. And I am always open to finding a great dog, regardless of competition record, and will use one if it has what I want.

As for the rest....

Caller: "He's a really great hunting dog. Best I've ever seen, and all my friends think so too."

Me: "That's nice, glad he's doing well for you. What are his health clearances?"

Caller: "He's healthy, my vet says so".

Me: "Yes, but what about hips, eyes, elbows, EIC, DM, PRA...need those before I can even think about using any dog as a potential sire."

Caller: "I don't care about all that stuff, I just want a pup out of him. I don't wanna show or anything."

(I let the "out of" part slide, even though it's like fingernails on a chalkboard, because it really doesn't make any difference at this point).

Me: "Can you send me pictures and a pedigree?"

Caller: (sends picture of the dog sitting at his feet looking straight up at the camera, so everything is warped out of proportion and all you can see is the dog's nose and eyes) "Pedigree? I think I've got that thingy for registering him in a drawer here someplace, but never sent it in since I didn't want to show him or anything."

Caller: "I won't even want any money for his sperm, I just want a puppy. And my hunting buddies want to get one too, so the would all get sold."

Me: "That's nice of you...but I can do that with another dog who's proven and has health clearances. And my pups start at $1000."

Caller: "But I'm giving you the sperm! Can't you just sell the puppies to my friends for a couple hundred dollars?"

Me: (as politely as I can be) "I'm sorry, I just don't think he's a good fit for my needs, but thank you and I wish you all the best of luck."

Caller: "Can I buy a female puppy from you so I can breed her to him myself?"

Me: "No, all my pups are spoken for, but thank you for asking."
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Y'all have probably discussed ad naseum the "by" and "out of" thing, but that just drives me crazy. Hear it all the time in the horse industry, and I always want to ask how they got their horse "out" of the stud.

I had a guy literally beg to use a boy I had. He wasn't being studded out I told him. I promise I'll take good care of him he said. I'll put him in a double fenced pen with my female; I should need him for more than a week. - Really, you want me to give you my stud dog to lock in a pen with your female for a week? I never even made it to health clearances. I feel so sorry for his female and any puppies she ever whelped. The other inquiries were all by e-mail and after asking about health clearances and titles, none of which they had, I sent them long emails explaining all the health clearances and how/where to get them done. None ever got back in touch.

I think you all are doing "gods work" so to speak when it comes to keeping you standards hi. My first YLM, was purchased after deciding, I needed a hunting dog. I didn't know a thing about dogs but went with the recommendation of a friend who had the grand dam. Turned out to be a fine hunting partner and companion. He also turned to be affected with EIC. That day I found out broke my heart for some many reasons. When I got that dog I didn't know crap about labs and from what I learned, know one around me knew anything either. I probably still dont know anything about dogs, but I do know what to look for in a breeder. Would have been nice for either someone to explain the basics to me or at least have someone do the medical clearances to prevent all the misfortune. My thoughts are people should breed to improve not just make puppies and that seems what you'll think as well.

-Hardcore

Just tell the about expressing their male and evaluating the ejaculate is required. They usually ask what expressing means. Keeps from wasting time and you don't get more phone calls.

2 Tall
    I would just politely and simply say "No Thanks".
    No reasons needed in my opinion.
    That would the end of the topic as far as I am concerned.
    Don

Tis the season. I had my share lately too, one gal w/ a 26" tall 90+# male that had just hips done at the time. Have to admit, even though I told her I had nothing I'd want to breed to her male with, she went ahead and did elbows and EIC and eyes in hopes I'd change my mind. She reported back to me that the dog had passed all the testing, but when I checked OFA, it stated his eyes were "ineligible" for a number due to a cataract! These people walk amongst us.

This past week I had a call from the owner w/ a bitch/littermate to him. They had a noted cataract on their last CERF as well but the ACVO thought it was most likely an injury, so were to have gone back for a recheck a few months ago-- but hadn't. I sent them the link to OFA so they could see that the brother failed. Also let him know there was PRA back there in the pedigree, so there was another thing to keep in mind. Told them they'd need to do EIC testing too. He asked me about stud fees and all the other costs involved, and I told him I just got thru paying a $5000 Visa bill of which $4000 was dog/breeding expenses (just for the month). I think he's now thinking a $1000-1200 pup isn't sounding so bad after all.