The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What duck/phesant/turkey auto loader shotgun should I buy? Any why?

With what you have listed, I would go with the SX3 but I doubt you would be unhappy with any of the choices you listed.

I shouldered all the guns you mention. I narrowed it down to the SBE 2 and the A400 by which felt good and seemed like they fit. A couple weeks later I tried the two guns again and I picked the A400 for my next gun. It just fit me. Try them all, narrow it down to 2 , then go back in a couple weeks and pick the one that fits you.
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

The Maxus has "speed loading". I would only buy a Browning just for that. I have had a Maxus the past two duck seasons and love it. I used my camo gold hunter before that and my old trusty A-5 before that.I have owned Browning guns for 40 years. I have a couple of Citori's too for clays,dove, pheasant and quail,although the Maxus can do it all. The Browning Maxus beats all the italian makers toys by a long shot. Forgot to mention how light they are and no noticeable recoil either. Go Maxus, well worth the cost.
    Last edited by duxmn; 01-19-2014 at 03:51 PM.
    Keep your dogs clean, dry and comfortable. Check out my chewproof crate mats at www.natsmats.com.

I was in the same boat as you; basically deciding between the A400, SBEII and the Maxus. They are all great guns, but I wanted something that would shoulder well with me. I narrowed it down to the SBEII and Maxus after shouldering all 3, but the Maxus won with the speed loading feature. It's pretty neat and I use it all the time when the ducks are coming in quick.

I use the Winchester. You can try it.

Beretta A400 extreme. Can not go wrong with any B guns. Shoulder them for the best fit. Enjoy your new gun.
    Chase perfection and accept excellence- Vince Lombardi

I was in the same boat as you. I tried the Versamax, A400 Extrema and the SX3. I went in 2 or 3 times and shouldered and swung all three and narrowed it down by which one felt the best. I also had the option to shoot the Versamax and A400 Extrema. I ultimately went with the A400. Good luck and enjoy!

Not sure about the rest of them ,but the SX3 comes with shims to adjust the cast/comb ,to tweak for a custom fit. i would assume that the rest are also adjustable. I've shot my SX3 for over 5 years now been a very reliable gun for turkey, duck, clay pigeons, rabbits etc... It handles even the cheapest pot aluminum loads well all the way up to the big goose loads. Stoger and Versa max both get a thumbs down from my personal experience shooting with other hunters. (but they do give you an advantage if others are shooting at the same ducks)
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

The Beretta definitely!! If you are looking for a cheaper alternative the Beretta A300 is a beast of a 3" gun! I picked one up this year and didn't have a complaint all year, it actually helped my accuracy, with the shims, and being able to properly fit the gun to me. It killed around 100 doves and 40 ducks this year. Very happy with it!

I would find a gun club in your area and go and see if anyone is shooting any of these guns on your list. You might be able to shoot some of them and see which one you like the best. buying a gun without shooting one first is like buying a new car without driving it first in mho. I'v done it and ended up selling the gun and taking a big loss.