The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Collar Condition

  1. #1

    Default Collar Condition

    Ok I'm sticking to my program! But have a question!
    I'm following duck dog basics collar condition and he uses nicks for heel and if the dog gets out of okave when he commands here he will nick and that's it. I was wondering if I could throw in collar condition for heel AND here. If I do would the here be nicks or continuous since the heel is nicks? Or If I did both nick and continuous would it confuse the dog? I want to heel with the dog and give nicks like he does when the dog gets out of place and then out the dog on a sit stay and command here with either nicks or continuous.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member Mary Lynn Metras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Watford, ONT
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    I believe Lardy does. He stresses "sit" and "here" commands. But for "heel" you just command the dog to sit first, walk away and you command "heel", giving a nick and pull on your leash!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey


    "Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogs4life View Post
    Ok I'm sticking to my program! But have a question!
    I'm following duck dog basics collar condition and he uses nicks for heel and if the dog gets out of okave when he commands here he will nick and that's it. I was wondering if I could throw in collar condition for heel AND here. If I do would the here be nicks or continuous since the heel is nicks? Or If I did both nick and continuous would it confuse the dog? I want to heel with the dog and give nicks like he does when the dog gets out of place and then out the dog on a sit stay and command here with either nicks or continuous.

    thanks
    Not sure what your asking so.....This statement makes me wonder where you are "I was wondering if I could throw in collar condition for heel AND here"
    I use the continuous mode and never the "Nick" mode.
    I do use the continuous mode for a short corrections at times.
    I use the collar for most steps in training not just "Heel" or not just "Here"

    I have best luck holding the pressure until I get a response I am looking for.
    Remember 3 things with the e-collar
    Timing is critical
    Pressure has to be strong enough to make the dog want to make the correction, but not a punishment
    The more simple you make it, the less likely you will confuse your dog. (Heck, you have me confused but then I am simple)

    It will not hurt you to join a local training club and seek hands on advice.
    Don

  4. #4

    Default

    What I mean is he says heel and Everytime the dog gets out the spot he NICKS NICKS NICKS until in spot. Then he has the dog sit and he walks away and commands here. I was wondering if I could just use the nicks for heel and then the remote sit and call here and nick or continuous. Till he gets to me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member thelast2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogs4life View Post
    What I mean is he says heel and Everytime the dog gets out the spot he NICKS NICKS NICKS until in spot. Then he has the dog sit and he walks away and commands here. I was wondering if I could just use the nicks for heel and then the remote sit and call here and nick or continuous. Till he gets to me.
    You only apply pressure with the collar until the dog does what you asked it to do. If you call the dog to you by commanding "Here" once the dog complies by coming to you there is no need to continue applying pressure with the collar. I would suggest watching what Chris Akin does in your video again. You might also get his second video where he goes into more advanced training and usage of the e-collar. On a side note many trainer use the continuous button rather than the momentary. That said the only press the button or a series of pressing the button effectively nicking the dog until the dog complies rather than holding it down and burning the dog.
    Last edited by thelast2; 01-16-2014 at 05:18 PM.
    Jesse

    HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogs4life View Post
    What I mean is he says heel and Everytime the dog gets out the spot he NICKS NICKS NICKS until in spot. Then he has the dog sit and he walks away and commands here. I was wondering if I could just use the nicks for heel and then the remote sit and call here and nick or continuous. Till he gets to me.
    Ok, I am still of the opinion that a Nick Nick Nick is a continuous pressure if you keep nicking until you get compliance. Did you know ( at least this is how it was explained to me) that when you hit the button on a TT Pro 100 on continuous mode, it delivers a Nick, Nick, Nick for as long as 8 seconds if you hold the button down, as a cycle of energy delivered to the dog? Jump buttons: Low is nick...nick...nick...nick... Mediun is nick.nick.nick.nick... High is nicknicknicknicknick.. Same intensity of shock, increased cycles.
    I collar condition dogs first on "Here" after the dog knows the command "here" and is coming reliably, say 95% of the time while on the check cord. That means he is on the check cord, I say "here" and he comes. No pressure from the check cord at all. He comes what I say "Here" but the check cord is an insurance for compliance . In other words, he knows the word "Here" and he dose what "here" means.
    The once the dog is coming every time I add in the collar on some of the here commands as I jerk on the cord. It all comes together as one command, The "Here" the jerk and the shock all at one time and I only release the continuous button as soon as the dog turns toward me, he makes eye contact and he starts heading my way. If he is part way back to me and stops to sniff, I hit and hold the button again until he makes eye contact, turns toward me and starts my way.. Remember I mentioned timing........don't forget your timing. It's important.

    I suppose you can start collar conditioning on heel but the problem I see is Heel is not really a definitive space. It's just a "sort of space kinda close to what's his name" "Here" as I use it is we touch. You are not "here" until we are touching. To me "here" is with doggy leaning on my leg..........not pissin on now.
    Don
    Don

  7. #7
    Senior Member thelast2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    Ok, I am still of the opinion that a Nick Nick Nick is a continuous pressure if you keep nicking until you get compliance. Did you know ( at least this is how it was explained to me) that when you hit the button on a TT Pro 100 on continuous mode, it delivers a Nick, Nick, Nick for as long as 8 seconds if you hold the button down, as a cycle of energy delivered to the dog? Jump buttons: Low is nick...nick...nick...nick... Mediun is nick.nick.nick.nick... High is nicknicknicknicknick.. Same intensity of shock, increased cycles.
    I collar condition dogs first on "Here" after the dog knows the command "here" and is coming reliably, say 95% of the time while on the check cord. That means he is on the check cord, I say "here" and he comes. No pressure from the check cord at all. He comes what I say "Here" but the check cord is an insurance for compliance . In other words, he knows the word "Here" and he dose what "here" means.
    The once the dog is coming every time I add in the collar on some of the here commands as I jerk on the cord. It all comes together as one command, The "Here" the jerk and the shock all at one time and I only release the continuous button as soon as the dog turns toward me, he makes eye contact and he starts heading my way. If he is part way back to me and stops to sniff, I hit and hold the button again until he makes eye contact, turns toward me and starts my way.. Remember I mentioned timing........don't forget your timing. It's important.

    I suppose you can start collar conditioning on heel but the problem I see is Heel is not really a definitive space. It's just a "sort of space kinda close to what's his name" "Here" as I use it is we touch. You are not "here" until we are touching. To me "here" is with doggy leaning on my leg..........not pissin on now.
    Don
    Don
    Agreed, collar conditioning is used only after the dog knows what you are asking of it. Utilize the check cord to train the dog on sit, here & heal once the dog knows these commands and is doing them with the check cord, then start using the e-collar to essentially to polish the commands up.
    Jesse

    HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

  8. #8
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Dogs4life

    Are you training other peoples dogs?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •