The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Binoculars

Default Binoculars

I have begun training my 4 year old CLM for field trial tests. I am having trouble at 250+ yard blinds judging the depth relation of my dog to the blind. My dad passed on to me a really nice pair of 10x40 binoculars (think they were originally 800-900 bucks) he used for birding. I have researched the forum about field of vision. Will I see a big difference dropping down to a 7 or 8 power (first number) binocular? In training with these binoculars my dog is way too fast and my hands seem way to shaky to watch him run the blind thru the binoculars. Would love some input.

Thanks
    Clint Beaty
    Coastal Creek Retrievers
    www.coastalcreekretrievers.com

If my poor memory serves me I think I remember something about a 4xfor blind work..Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

I use the Bushnell 900' Field of View Xtra-Wide Binoculars for those extra long blinds and they work good for me. I have seen other handlers use them also.
    Terry C.

You can't win if you don't play, every dog has his day

Sunny Dee Light MH QAA (Sunny)
    Sunny's Black Gold Texas Tea, Derby Dog (Crude)

I have the Bushnell Xtra Wides as well (I think they are 4X30).

They are focus free, so you can whip them up to your eyes and find your dog quickly. Not great magnification, but good enough to quickly assess what in general your dog is doing way out there.

Last edited by mitty; 01-16-2014 at 06:07 PM. Reason: missing word added
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    I have the Bushnell Xtra Wides as well (I think they are 4X30).

They are focus free, so you can whip them and find your dog quickly. Not great magnification, but good enough to quickly assess what in general your dog is doing way out there.

Those Bushnell's are by far the most popular binos for dog training, but I hate them. They work but they are very low quality optically; fragile prism's that are easily knocked out of collimation, are not water proof, hang awkwardly against the chest and are quite bulky, other than that they are great. For $90.00 - $100.00 I much prefer the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 binocular. At only six power, once focused beyond 20 yards or so, they are good to infinity without further need to focus. Low enough power and wide enough field of view to be useful. Very compact in the hand and against the chest. Water proof with a lifetime warranty.

If you can't tell, I'm a binocular freak, don't tell my wife, but I currently own Leitz Trinovids, Leica Ultravids, two high end Nikons, Fujinon, Pentax and Leupold binos. I have extensive experience with Zeiss, Swarovski and many other alpha brands. Those little Yosemites, hold their won against $2,000.00 Leicas and Swaro's. They are a huge best buy bargain, usefull for all kinds of field glass use. Try them out and see if you like them.

John
    Last edited by John Robinson; 01-16-2014 at 06:14 PM.

I agree. I tried the Bushnell wide views. They don't require focusing but they're never really ever in focus either.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

I find that binoculars are almost useless on a land blind. The dog is moving too quickly for you to use the binoculars, blow the whistle and cast effectively. From time to time, I try binoculars on a land blind and confirm what I already knew - they don't work for me.

I will use binoculars on a long, large water blind, where I need to pick up a little black dot in big water. The water keeps dog speed to manageable levels and a binocular can really help
    Like John and John I find the Bushnells to be useless. Too low on magnification and quality. I use an 8x power Eagle Optics, recommended by a friend who used to hang out on RTF and earned his keep following bird migration. Good price, good optics, lifetime warranty.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Like John I to am a binocular freak. And agree compleatly the Leupold Yosemites are the best glass in the price range.
    6x30 gives light transmition for those darker days. Easy to hold steady with there slightly bigger size and 6 power.
    Watch out for cheap roof prizm glass there optical quality isn't there. You get a better view with Porro prizms for the price.
    I like my swarovski 8 power pocket binos for hunting since they fit in a shirt pocket and have great optical clairity but for the quick target acquisition like a running dog I would use my Yosemites.

Lee
    With a dog...You never hunt alone.

I agree on land blinds, Ted. My dog too quick or I am too slow. But useful on water blinds. I remember when binocs were not allowed by some judges--"intimidating the judges." Hell, now the judges use them sometimes! Times change...

Land blinds, definitely not to see the dog. They are however useful to see the ribbon or "the" bush. All too easy to get confused in the moment and try to cast your dog to the wrong bush.

Water blinds, yes. The smart thing to do is watch the dog progress through the binoculars. If you lose the dog and then try to find him with the binoculars you are done.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham