The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Binoculars

Check out Beecher Mirage. Hands free and always in focus. 7 and 8 power have too narrow a field of vision. 5.5 or 6 gives a good field and I can still see their eyes at 400yds. Expensive $625.
    Have used them for a few years on land and water blinds.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

I need binos to be sure I know where the blind marker is in hunt tests. Before I send the dog, I look for landmarks near the blind marker that I can relocate quickly without the binos while the dog is en route. I also like to be able to see the dog at the bird so I can be sure she's found it before I whistle her back.

My birding binos are 10X50 Bausch and Lomb. They don't have a very wide field of view, so I bought the Leupold Yosemite 6x30. I'm not as impressed with them as John is. They're a single focus at a distance, but it's a poor focus for my eyes. I like that they're waterproof and don't seem to fog easily. However, because of the poor focus, I keep going back to the 10x50s, but then I have a harder time keeping the dog in the field of view. Still looking for something better, but most of the low powers (4x or 6x) get poor reviews and I hesitate to keep experimenting. It gets costly.

Whatever you get, shell out another $25 for a binocular harness and throw away the neck strap that the binos come with. A harness (aka "bino bra") is more trouble to take on and off but it's not the literal pain in the neck that the neck straps are.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)