The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper or Plastic

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I admit I shop at Whole Foods...I like their products, not their pricing, but their switch from plastic back to paper has lost me more than a few items because the handles on the paper bags break at the least vit of weight , even when double bagged...They have great produce and a very good choice of granola...and one of the best wine shoppes in the county...Now the Whole Foods in Austin is a whole nuther world,I used to go there in the mornings because they made the best fruit smoothies before places like jamba juice came along,but you also felt like you stepped in a time warp of the Haight -Ashbury times of Berkley Ca.
    Come on Bon, you are old enough to have started with paper bags and learned that paper bags are carried from, supported by, the bottom. Just because they HAVE handles doesn't mean that you HAVE to carry them that way.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Plastic bags blow! I hate them. They rip. They spill. The produce bags are impossible to open. Those little twist tie dealies suck as well.

Plastic bag challenged regards,
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

I like to think I am both a conservationist and care taker of my environment and see no conflict. I also admit to using both paper and plastic, taking all of used plastic to the store where they have a recycle bin.( OMG I mentioned recycle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

We do have a few stores around that give you a nickel off if you bring in a bag.

I do not use a cloth bag often as I forget to take it with me most of the time.

( and FYI, the plastic bags are great for holding Pheasant guts and skins when field dressing birds. No sense in using a trash bag when you can recycle . OMG I said it again.)
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Been considering buying and using cloth bags because of the tearing etc. on both plastic and paper. I just can't see hubby being willing to do this. I'm tired of spills from both plastic and paper. I'm really tired of clerks throwing produce into either kind of bag !
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    Been considering buying and using cloth bags because of the tearing etc. on both plastic and paper. I just can't see hubby being willing to do this. I'm tired of spills from both plastic and paper. I'm really tired of clerks throwing produce into either kind of bag !
    If you do use the cloth bags, don't forget to throw them in the wash as they collect residue from food and then grow bacteria like salmonella etc., and can become a health hazard.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

The big driver is the cost....but the tree huggers as you call them are why plastic is biodegradable and oppose to lasting for ever. The transition was expensive but being green sold now cost is low. Less storage space required for plastic but when it came out, everyone complained about weakness of bags. Re-using coke bottles makes a lot of since but it is cheaper to make plastic, plus noone want to fool with them anymore, hard to drink a coke on the run in a glass bottle too. Most of you guys are no longer in the fast lane anymore, so enjoy the slow life, training, hunting, fishing and quit worrying about this crap. Let the young folks that can save the world do it. But to do it, got to turn off the news. Making people angry makes you watch or listen, just like when I piss you off.

Glad you mentioned that HPL. The ones I was looking at were well made and entirely washable. They had the store's logo on them and I refuse to help that store advertise.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

For those that think some of us "outdoorsmen" are insensitive to the environment: How many of you pick up your empty hulls while hunting ? Where do you clean your game birds ? What do you do with all the bird carcasses ? Where do you clean your fish?

The answers to the above should be obvious...I think outdoorsmen/women are the best conservationists out there..a true hunter and sportsman isnt going to ruin his own playground with litter and other crap, and will read the riot act to those that abuse the privilege

If you ever run the FT at Lee Kay in SLC all you have to do is look across the street to the county dump and just seethe at all the trash and paper that comes drifting across the road which makes the ponds on that side virtually useless
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I doubt that I leave 20 hulls a year in the field when I am hunting hard. This year it will be less than 10 and those are just hulls that I can't find. (I've often thought about getting a PRT or something and training it to retrieve the hulls )
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    For those that think some of us "outdoorsmen" are insensitive to the environment: How many of you pick up your empty hulls while hunting ? I shoot an O/U and 95% of my hulls go in my pocket. I have been in situatons wher I had to reload fast and have missed a few. Where do you clean your game birds ? At the back of my truck for upland birds putting all entrails,feathers, heads and skins in my plastic grocery bag depositing said bag in the dumpster at the hotel. Waterfowl comes home as a rule for proper disposal.What do you do with all the bird carcasses ? See above for upland birds, disposal pit for training birds. Where do you clean your fish? Most come home, some field dressed and entrails disposed of in the same manner as above.

The answers to the above should be obvious...I think outdoorsmen/women are the best conservationists out there..a true hunter and sportsman isnt going to ruin his own playground with litter and other crap, and will read the riot act to those that abuse the privilege

If you ever run the FT at Lee Kay in SLC all you have to do is look across the street to the county dump and just seethe at all the trash and paper that comes drifting across the road which makes the ponds on that side virtually useless
    Bon, IMO, many hunters and outdoors people are good stewards onf the land when they are in the outdoors. But it doesn't always carry over to daily life. With a bit more effort, perhaps the mess at Lee Kay wouldn't be as bad. That being said, a slob is a slob wherever they go and none of us should stand for it.

JMHO
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!