The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: any and all Tips for A first timer?

Default any and all Tips for A first timer?

Hello Everyone,

My name is Steve and this is my first day as a member of this forum. I have a five month old chocolate Lab named BUB. This is my first time training a gun dog and I have a lot to learn! I live in Alaska so there is not as many resources available locally as say the states. I have got some great help from a couple of buddies in the area who do great with there dogs, and have way more expierence then me. However I hate to over use there help because they have there dogs to train. In short I would very much appreciate any and all tips/recommendations any body could provide for a first time trainer. It is quickly becoming a passion and I love my dog so i don't want to screw this up!

Thank You All,

Steve and BUB

Get a good book/video training program. Smartworks by Evan Graham is good.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

Welcome Steve and Bub!! Lots of good info and helpful folks here. Good luck to you and your new addition with whatever path you two choose.
    Last edited by RJW; 01-16-2014 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aksteve&bub View Post
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Steve and this is my first day as a member of this forum. I have a five month old chocolate Lab named BUB. This is my first time training a gun dog and I have a lot to learn! I live in Alaska so there is not as many resources available locally as say the states. I have got some great help from a couple of buddies in the area who do great with there dogs, and have way more expierence then me. However I hate to over use there help because they have there dogs to train. In short I would very much appreciate any and all tips/recommendations any body could provide for a first time trainer. It is quickly becoming a passion and I love my dog so i don't want to screw this up!

Thank You All,

Steve and BUB
    If you help your buddies with their dogs in training, I can't see why they would not help you. Scratch my back and ....

Thank You! keep them coming.

And I have and they have helped me. However different schedules different spots of training etc. and we will still help each other but all the info i can get the better!

Then as stated above, find a sequential program and follow it to a tee. Good luck to you Too bad there isn't a retriever club close to you?

Decide on the goals for your dog. I know you said Gundog but do you want the dog to do multiple marks? How about taking hand signals to run blinds?
    Learn the vocabulary so you can ask reasonable questions. There is a list of dog terminology on the front page of this site.

Start developing a list of training equipment and start acquiring.

Decide if you are going to be an ecollar trainer or not.

If you are going to train alone buy the DVD Training a Retriever Alone by Denis Voigt.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 01-16-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

What part of Alaska do you live in? There are some fine retriever clubs that could be an excellent resource.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Hi Steve - If you are near Fairbanks we have an excellent group of experienced folks that will be happy to train with you and Bub. We will be providing a puppy class for a lot of new folks that will begin on March 16th. You can go to our website at: www.fairbanksretrieverclub.org and read more about the class and our club (including contact info).

If you are near Anchorage - there are a number of Clubs down there as well and I would be happy to get you in contact with any of them.

Best and looking forward to meeting you and Bub - Russ
    Last edited by russhardy; 01-16-2014 at 09:21 PM.