The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: CC to "Here" Question - Progress Update

Default CC to "Here" Question - Progress Update

Hey all, I posted up here a little while ago with my new YLM pup "Manistee" and how I was new to training. Well just a quick update and question on collar conditioning to here.

Just for background, I'm trying to follow the Smartworks system and he will be 5mos old this weekend and was 50lbs even as of Tuesday.

We've been working on obedience pretty much since he came home and he does really well with all his commands at this point. Potty training is 100% and has been for a while. "Sit", "Heel", "Here", "Kennel", "Down", "Off", I wouldn't say "proofed" but I'd say probably 80-90% instant compliance with verbal commands. He's also doing great with whistle training, one tweet for sit, tweet-tweet-tweet for here. He's in the middle of his teething at the moment so we haven't done much with retreiving for a while except for toys and play inside the house, but plan on starting FF at the beginning of March.

This week we started collar conditioning to here. I had him wear the collar around pretty much all the time for about 10 days prior to turning it on. We've done three sessions (approx 10 min sessions) with the collar and he's seems to have it down, except for one thing that I'm curious as to if it's normal/good/bad.

Once I give the "Here" command, he can't get to me fast enough and pretty much just plows full speed into my legs, basically using me as a crash pad of sorts. I'm hesitant to try and discourage this at this point since he is doing what I told him to and is reacting to the collar in a positive manner (I think?). I mean once he crashes into me his butt's on the ground and he's at heel as fast as he can get there. So I'm not sure if this is just normal and ok or if I should be trying to do something different.

Oh and also after the first couple times each session using the collar he gets extremely hyper and becomes a lil spaz. He still obeys and seems to be having fun, but just gets super worked up.

So anyhow, I just wanted to do a quick status check and see if there's anything jumping out to those of you with more experience that I should be doing differently.

For reference, I'm using a Garmin Delta Sport collar and I've been using it on level 3 or 4 (of 18).

If he is sticking to your leg you may be burning him. Just a thought.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

If you care to email me at rushcreekpress@aol.com you can send me a video clip of a typical session. We can then discuss where you are in this, and lay out a plan for immediate progress.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Does he look like the golden in this video?.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG_ZBYmzlq0

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Paul, he doens't act so much like the golden in that video, but much more like the black lab at the 4:07 mark, just a flat out sprint and crash into me. Is it possible he thinks that he has to touch me to turn the pressure off? I usually take my finger off the button once he gets approx 3'-5' away from me.

Mike, as far as the collar being up to high, that was/is a concern (again this is my first experience with an e collar). I did try to determine his working level before we began. At level 1 and level 2, I didn't get any reactions out of him when he was just nosing around the yard in a relaxed manner. 3 is where I started to see him kind of tweak his head a lil bit. 4 was a clear reaction, and 5 seemed to very much get his attention. When he was in full out "play mode", I had to take it up to 7 before I saw a clear reaction, and 8 got a definite reaction and vocalization even when he was wound up. So for the CC sessions I've been starting at 3 but did have to go up to 4 at one point in the second session, but I'd say 90% of our work has been at level 3 constant (I have not utilized the tone/vibration/momentary functions of the collar yet, nor the "high/low" options).

And Evan, thanks for that offer, I'd appreciate it and will try and get some video this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by swosh View Post
    Paul, he doens't act so much like the golden in that video, but much more like the black lab at the 4:07 mark, just a flat out sprint and crash into me. Is it possible he thinks that he has to touch me to turn the pressure off? I usually take my finger off the button once he gets approx 3'-5' away from me.
    That stands to reason, since the Golden turned 4 months old the day that footage was shot, and that was his very first session. First sessions - especially for pups under 6 months are not full sessions. The lab was about 10 months old and had more training, so we did a full session.

The little spin the pup did a couple times was simply because we had reached the point in the session that he was beginning to really want to come, and he strained against the rope during the brief period while I walked away from him. His tail was up and wagging the entire session.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

How long are you holding the continuous pressure on? You say you let it off right before he gets to you...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"