The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Welcome new RTF Sponsor - Dr. Tim's!

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    How much does your larger dog weigh? And which level of Dr. Tim's are you feeding?
    He weighed 75lbs. Unfortunately we had to have him put down Saturday. He was 12 and not super active. We also feed that same amount to our 2.5 yo female who is high octane. Very active. We feed Pursuit. Also have our 10 week female on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Z View Post
    He weighed 75lbs. Unfortunately we had to have him put down Saturday. He was 12 and not super active. We also feed that same amount to our 2.5 yo female who is high octane. Very active. We feed Pursuit. Also have our 10 week female on it.
    Yeah Bob... You lost too many at one time. (I have 3 twelve year olds and a 10.5 - lost a 10 year old last year). I have a 60-65 pounder that is as high octane as they come. He eats 3 1/2 cups during his time off. Pushing 4 cups when he's working. He actually gained weight on Dr. Tim's. The first time ever. My regular vet Dr. Jeff I told him he was fat, and his reply was that he was far from it, "but for this dog you are right. That is the biggest I have seen him."

I was just curious about your ratio compared to the size of my dog.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jamee Strange View Post
    Ok I think I may have to make the jump and switch from TOTW. My dogs do well on it so I am hesitant, but I am really reading too many good things about Dr. Tim's to not consider it.
    I was at the same place as You. I have feed TOTW for a long time and My dogs always look super and have plenty of go. But with
    so many good reports about Dr. Tim's pursuit I just had to try it. I am changing foods now and we shall see. So far so good!!

I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old on it. We're on our second bag, the transition was easy and they are doing very well on it. I'm surprised at the reasonable cost. Nice to get such high quality without paying through the nose for it.
    Pam
    Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

My dogs are loving it and the transition was effortless ! I think they actually prefer it over what we were feeding and my labs stool has firmed and he does not go as often or as much. Not to mention its pretty nice it being delivered
    Thanks Dr. Tim !

I'm quite happy with my trial of Dr. Tim's Pursuit - 30/20.

I had all 4 of our dogs on Euk Premium Performance. My wife agreed to a trial of Dr. Tim's on our boys, as long as we kept the girls on Euk. I transitioned our boys over from Euk to Dr. Tim's on a 5 day schedule, with 2 feedings per day.

Equally spaced, the feedings were:

75% Euk, 25% Pursuit
    50%/50%
    25% Euk, 75% Pursuit
    then 100% Dr. Tim's Pursuit.

My findings:

• Bus had an "anxious stool" issue. He would get a bit runny if he were exercising and then pooping. He seems to have firmed up. (Dr. Tim bet me a dinner that his stools would firm up and I believe I may owe him a burger and fries.)
    • Euk is a great quality food. I take nothing away from it. My hunch is that as our Euk bin shrinks in inventory, we will likely transition the whole pack over to pursuit.
    • The biggest issue for my wife was the way the dogs smell. You can bury your face in our dogs' coats and breathe in and not feel like you're huffing in nasty dog smell. The boys' coats still smell great!

Our initial 40 lb bag of Pursuit is getting low. I'm ordering 2 more bags of Dr. Tim's pursuit today.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Chris,

Did the 5 days look like this? I am really thinking of switching too.

Day 1
    75/25 75/25
    day 2
    75/25 50/50
    day 3
    50/50 50/50
    day 4
    25/75 25/75
    day 5
    25/75
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.

I just ordered pursuit and yes, that is the way I have done it in the past and intend on doing it this time

Quote Originally Posted by PamK View Post
    Chris,

Did the 5 days look like this? I am really thinking of switching too.

Day 1
    75/25 75/25
    day 2
    75/25 50/50
    day 3
    50/50 50/50
    day 4
    25/75 25/75
    day 5
    25/75
    Pretty much...here's how mine looked...I actually made a spreadsheet, I'm such a geek:

image.jpg

And to be totally honest - I got the dogs out running today and bus still had some less than firm golf ball style airing deposits after he got out there rolling. I'm still quite pleased with the transition and bag #2 has been transferred to the bin.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Dr. Tim's food is rocket fuel so be careful to not overfeed. I am very happy to hear he is going to have a Non-chicken protein diet shortly. Chicken just causes my dog to itch.

Part of what makes Dr. Tim's so good is the small batches and production runs. Big companies like Purina have a lot going for them, but small ones also can dedicate foods to certain dogs like Sled Dogs and Field Trial dogs. Dr. Tim has been around forums and always willing to help with advice. His foods have a high animal protein content and that helps recovery after a long day of training.