The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody in the San Fernando Valley area?

You can also go to Hansen Dam and throw your bumper out in the Res for water retrieves..
    GMPR Snickelfritz of Bear Point SH aka Fritz

I remember Hansen Dam. I practiced fly casting out there when I was a teenager. Later an older guy I worked with at Kelty Pack, a WWII veteran B-25 pilot landed his Cessna on the dam when he lost an engine short of the Burbank airport.

John, I did summer work when I was in high school ( 1971) at a machine shop in the valley that made the pack frames for Kelty. The manager there was a plasma physicist at JPL on sabbatical. Don't remember any names.
    Small world.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Quote Originally Posted by labsforme View Post
    John, I did summer work when I was in high school ( 1971) at a machine shop in the valley that made the pack frames for Kelty. The manager there was a plasma physicist at JPL on sabbatical. Don't remember any names.
    Small world.
    Jeff, I worked there 1970-summer of 74. We made all our pack frames in house at the factory in Sun Valley on Tuxford. Was it John McBride? We had a machine shop on site, Dick Kelty was always working on something on the lathe or milling machine. McBride made all the tooling, (very Rube Goldberg-ish) for taking stacks of 20' lengths of aluminum tubing, cutting them to length, bending to shape, punching some holes and drilling others for all the different sizes of packs. It was very cool, he worked it all up in his head and made a full size mock-up out of wood to test the concept. I've done a lot of cool things and had some fun and interesting jobs, but working for Dick Kelty as his designer was the best!

Dick had worked for Lockheed during and just after the war and really appreciated guys with an aerospace background, so we had production managers, machinist, welders, fabricators from Lockheed, Douglas, and Hughes as well as others. At that time Burbank and other parts of the greater LA area was the center of the world as far as small aerospace support companies went. Very sorry to see that whole legacy die away.

John

Edit, I just remembered we sub contracted out the aluminum cam lever for the buckle for our then new Tioga pack to a small company that extruded the aluminum and plasma cut them to length. That could have been you.
    Last edited by John Robinson; 01-20-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Jeff, I worked there 1970-summer of 74. We made all our pack frames in house at the factory in Sun Valley on Tuxford. Was it John McBride? We had a machine shop on site, Dick Kelty was always working on something on the lathe or milling machine. McBride made all the tooling, (very Rube Goldberg-ish) for taking stacks of 20' lengths of aluminum tubing, cutting them to length, bending to shape, punching some holes and drilling others for all the different sizes of packs. It was very cool, he worked it all up in his head and made a full size mock-up out of wood to test the concept. I've done a lot of cool things and had some fun and interesting jobs, but working for Dick Kelty as his designer was the best!

Dick had worked for Lockheed during and just after the war and really appreciated guys with an aerospace background, so we had production managers, machinist, welders, fabricators from Lockheed, Douglas, and Hughes as well as others. At that time Burbank and other parts of the greater LA area was the center of the world as far as small aerospace support companies went. Very sorry to see that whole legacy die away.

John

Edit, I just remembered we sub contracted out the aluminum cam lever for the buckle for our then new Tioga pack to a small company that extruded the aluminum and plasma cut them to length. That could have been you.
    Wow John: now you are reliving my youth, as Hughes and Douglas were probably the largest employers in my general neighborhood in Orange County, there were some brilliant minds that came out of that industry, many made their way to the golf industry and used "space age" materials and design to make the stuff we use today....I also own a Kelty tent, nice design for a base camp model, will sleep a whole family but I can put it up by myself, very cool stuff..
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Wow John: now you are reliving my youth, as Hughes and Douglas were probably the largest employers in my general neighborhood in Orange County, there were some brilliant minds that came out of that industry, many made their way to the golf industry and used "space age" materials and design to make the stuff we use today....I also own a Kelty tent, nice design for a base camp model, will sleep a whole family but I can put it up by myself, very cool stuff..
    Here's a tragic story. The year was 1955, I was five and we were living in a nice quiet suburb near the LaBrea Tar Pits. My Dad was a thermodynamics engineer working for Honeywell and he was given two job offers, one for Douglas Aircraft and the other for a Valley company that was leading the way in new technology in jet aircraft plexiglass canopies. My Dad drove our family up into a brand new subdivision on Palos Verdes Peninsula overlooking the ocean near Marineland. There were no homes yet, but the streets were all paved and laid out, so we drove up into a cul-de-sac overlooking the sea below. My mom really wanted that spot, but Pacific Aeromotive offered him more money and a title so we moved over the hill into the valley. Man I wish he took that Douglass job!