The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: FF question

Default FF question

I got a quick question. I have done all the normal work leading up to FF. I've had about 6 sessions with her and I have noticed she is getting a little sticky to the bumper. Is this common?

For some dogs yes. What are you doing about it?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

When she refuses to drop it I roll it back and down into her*mouth. Other then that I dunno what else to do.

That's what I would do. I assume your getting the drop after that?
    Make sure you use praise and I do plenty of treats at that stage.
    Don

She's telling you she has made the connection between the pinch and getting something in her mouth....and she understands it well enough to think that *keeping* it there will prevent further pinches.
    Take your time and let her hold it for a bit before asking her to release it, then when you make her release it, do it slowly and gently....many people are really quick and harsh on the release, when they need to go easy. Rolling it down and back triggers the dog's gag reflex to make them release. When she does release it on cue, some quiet praise is in order and let her think about that for a bit before going back to the next fetch.
    Last edited by Sharon Potter; 01-17-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

I gently push the antenna of the remote behind the bumper(in dogs mouth/throat) until release, while holding the bumper(not moving it) and give command to release. That way they release themselves without making a fight out of it or inflicting pain (which might make them hold on harder). Basically a gag reflex. Tritronics with long rubber antenna best. Do not want to hurt the dog at all, they just do not think it is very comfortable (-:

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    She's telling you she has made the connection between the pinch and getting something in her mouth....and she understands it well enough to think that *keeping* it there will prevent further pinches.
    Take your time and let her hold it for a bit before asking her to release it, then when you make her release it, do it slowly and gently....many people are really quick and harsh on the release, when they need to go easy. Rolling it down and back triggers the dog's gag reflex to make them release. When she does release it on cue, some quiet praise is in order and let her think about that for a bit before going back to the next fetch.
    Very good advice....This reaction you are talking about is what I look for in my dogs...Just a sign the dog fully understands the fetch command at this point, and has not learned the drop or leave it ...training is a balancing act...too much of one command and not enough of another...It will come be patient......Steve S
    Last edited by steve schreiner; 01-17-2014 at 03:30 PM.
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

People tend to focus a lot on the fetch part of it. Hold and release are just as important during this process. Teach fetch, teach hold, teach drop. When the dog is doing all 3 properly most of the time then you know you're getting somewhere.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

she's just out of balance a little bit because you've be re-enforcing the fetch command... it's OK...

take Sharon's advice and be a little patient

coax her into releasing instead of forcing it

give her a reward when she does

she's a little scared to let go because she's anticipating the next rep (including ear pinch)

if it were me and she got sticky I would stroke her head a bit until she released, then reward her and be done with the session

and yes, a session might only be one rep for now

she has to relax a little
    Darrin Greene