The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cactus!

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Well, of course I'm correct. I would have to look pretty hard around here to find either cockleburs or goatheads. Not sure if we even have cockleburs, and goatheads are, thank heavens, really rare. Some areas are just covered in sandburs though and plenty of pear to go around too. Out where I dove hunt we also have to deal with tasajillo, which is a bit of a pain. Wish I could figure out how to post photos from my mac.
    Whoa there! I sure hope you meant to put a smiley face on that. That exceeds my tolerance for pomposity!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Whoa there! I sure hope you meant to put a smiley face on that. That exceeds my tolerance for pomposity!
    Probably a good thing we are unlikely to ever meet in person then, although I am a bit curious about a gal that goes by the moniker "2tall".
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Here are two more images of sandburs (​C. incertus)

2007-06-30-485 (1).jpg2011-07-31_00579 (1).jpg
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

tackweed- Eastern Wa and Or are probably the Puncturevine capitol of the world.

I'll take a grape pop with that please.
    you mean a grade soda?
    No, he wants a grape Coke.

sorry, I couldn't resist.

(disclaimer, I just got out of a cad standards committee meeting, I may be a wee bit cynical on naming conventions.)

My yard here in Southeast Mo is full of both "goatheads" and "sand burrs"........along with my pasture being full of "prictly pear cactus"!!! Absolutely hate all three of them. I live in a sand box and have tried everything to get rid of all of it...not easy to do and not an over night deal.
    There are chemicals that will help with everything but the cactus. The ONLY way I have found to get rid of the cactus is scrape the pads off flush with the ground and it will eventually starve the roots of water. I use my tractor and blade or a rock rake and pull plant and all up, but I have spots that two crew cab pickup trucks wouldnt cover (or did) !! MSMA (I think) is the chemical that you spray for goatheads and sandburrs. It will kill everything broadleaf tho.
    Im all ears if someone has a tried and true method !!!! Just dont make the mistake I did of mowing the cactus....it jus spreads !!!

Roundup will kill the sand burs and probably the goat's head. Remedy might do the trick for the pear.
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Roundup will kill the sand burs and probably the goat's head. Remedy might do the trick for the pear.
    Roundup is useless with pear, it isn't even a deterrent. You can dig it or spray both sides of the pad with 2 ounces of Tordon and 1 ounce of Inergy (surfactant) per gallon of water, it takes weeks to kill pear and sometimes requires a second application.

The best method for pear is to dig it out and burn the plants (neither of which is easy), or you can just learn to love it.
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)

I bought a bottle of stuff made by Dupont 2-3 Years ago that was a new product (comercial stuff), about the size of a large pill bottle and mixed it with my other stuff and never had "sticker burrs" for 2 years. About $80 a bottle that mixes with 175 gallons of water for 8 acres. They are back though. We call them sticker burs around here