The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dew Claws???

I was at a vet clinic today when some one called about a neuter/ dew claw combo. To me, do them (the dews) at 2-3 days, or live with them. I've never had issues w/ dogs w/o them but I sure have seen issues w/ those w/them. I remove.

I wouldn't dream of removing them.

I am curious though... Knowing how common place it is on the field side of things for breeders to remove them, how do people supposedly have experience with them being torn?

I've seen my dogs use them when climbing out of ditches. Have also seen pictures of dogs in motion where the dew claws were definitely being utilized.
    I asked my vet about dew claw removal many years ago. He said that he'd seen very few dew claw injuries in all his time as a vet (I'd say decades judging by his white hair!) and most were due to improper trimming.

Here's a short article that may help your decision
    http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/...xplanation.pdf

Nothing like a good discussion on Dew Claws
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

I remove dew claws on all my pups. That being said the best argument against removing them that I have ever seen was posted on RFT several years ago on a video made by Erica of Quarter Moon Goldens. Here is the link. www.vimeo.com/39124130
    Torgslabs
    www.Torgslabs.com
    4XGMPR HRCH (GRHRCH pass)HRK ROOSTER SMASHER, MH, QAA
    STONEY BURKE, MH, QAA
    ERIK THE RED, MH
    HUNTING MEMORIES, SH "TANNER"

Here's a link to an interesting video on dewclaw use on water with ice

http://youtu.be/r4XflsMEk-k

I see that torg beat me to it

Thank you for posting the Quarter Moon Golden video.

It amazes me that we mere humans think we can improve on Mother Nature's design.

Very humbling.
    Renee P

I agree with Dr. Ed that there is no current evidence that dew claw removal increases the incidence of carpal arthritis in dogs. However I do wonder about the possibility of dewclaw removal on the carpus in dogs that run hard and turn much like our competition retrievers on the medial (inside) stability of the carpal joint. It is a true articulation with tendinous attachment to the limb. Looking at pictures and videos of dogs running and turning with and without dewclaws I think that there is a possibility that the dewclaw can provide some stability to the carpus when turning. It would be a good biomechanical study.

I have left dewclaws on all my dogs and litters. Most all are Urban Search and Rescue dogs and I have seen them use them to claw their way up the rubble using them. Thankfully I have to cut them very rarely for this reason. I feel for them it could also be a safety issue. Some of my dogs and puppies are also HT and FT dogs and to date have had no issues with the dew claws.

In practice I have seen dew claw injuries. However I will say that I see a higher incidence of trauma to all the other nails than I do of the dew claws in dogs that still have them. I cannot say that I have observed a higher incidence of carpal arthritis in dogs with/without dewclaws, but all my cases are dogs without dewclaws, which I think is more of a reflection of the fact that FT/HT people habitually remove them.

What concerns me is that they are removed out of habit rather than for a rational reason for doing so. I have a lot of questions regarding the actual incidence of dew claw trauma (especially compared to other nails) and the role in carpal stability. So for now, based on these questions I will leave them in my dogs. (Plus I am squeamish about amputation of a digit in few day old puppies). This is a personal decision, that everyone should make with consideration rather than habit. So I am glad to hear people question it. Perhaps removal comes down to what the dog is going to be used for - pet, service dogs, USAR dogs, and dogs that have to make hard turns should have them left in place? Hunting (meat) dogs, if they do truly have a higher incidence of dew claw injury, should have them removed?

I have included a couple of links (obviously biased toward leaving them) - one is an article by the veterinarian Dr. Ed referred to, Dr. Chris Zink The other is an video of a person who feels it is important for them to be left on so that your dog can get out of the ice. I especially like the fact they are doing retrieves on the ice - we here in FL are not even getting in the water right now to train . Are we wimps or what?

http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/...xplanation.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Xf...ature=youtu.be
    Jennifer Brown DVM, DACVS, DACVSMR, CCRT
    K-9 SportsVet

HRCH Maranatha's She's Got Phanesse MH, SAR U-1
    Maranatha's Black Talon Phallon JH, SAR U-1

www.lpkennels.com
    www.k9sportsvet.com

I've had one dog that had one grow back after an (obviously) unsuccessful attempt to remove them. She snagged and injured it at least twice while I had her, and I only had her for about 2 1/2 years. It was a major pain. It would take a pretty convincing argument for me to keep them on a working retriever.