The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dew Claws???

I've always removed them, but more because that's what most buyers expect. However, the last litter I had two of the buyers specifically wanted them left on. Both stated they hunted on ice and in waterlogged areas and thought the dogs used their dew claws to get a better grip climbing over slick logs and ice. As that litter was small, I left all their dew claws on because at 3 days I had no idea which pup would go to those that wanted them left on (and the other buyers didn't care). Of my 6 dogs, I have one with her dew claws and while she's injured a nail on one, she's accident prone and has injured other toenails often and more seriously. Her one minor nail injury on a dew claw was just in keeping with the way she bangs herself up in general.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

This is a great discussion. My current dog has his dew claws, and it seems to injure at least one of them every hunting season...

Hunt your dog in Upland in deep frozen snow for a few hours, and watch them get torn. Hunt a dog under camo netting and watch them get twisted and torn. Don't keep them cut up short and watch them get caught up, getting in and out of the kennel. Then with my luck the one that has her dew claws is the one that hates her nails cut and guess which one she hates getting cut the worst, guess which one bleeds for hours when you do wrestle her down and cut it. I'd say if vets haven't seen it, it's because most working dog people-hunters don't have dog with dew-claws and that most won't take dog in until they need an antibiotic. Dew claw tears are basically nail tears, blood-pain, limping for ~ aweek, most the nail is cut the leg wrapped, and don't require vet visit. That and perhaps the fact that most vets don't deal with many with hunting dogs, I mean how many barbed wire tears, cherry toe, etc. do most vets see on a regular basis. Most people I know take care of the minor issues themselves, that's why the skin stapler, and dog boots are in the med-kit. Fact of it is it's ~$20-$30, per pup to have them taken off, if you get an injury you have vet bills, have to knock the dog out and surgery ~300-$500 to have them taken off. Ounce of prevention, vs. pound of cure. Still everyone can do as they like, But I've had dogs with them and those without, and I've had enough issues that I'm not going to have another dog with them. They are a PITA
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-20-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Hunt your dog in Upland in deep frozen snow for a few hours, and watch them get torn.

Yes, THIS. I have friends/ pup owners who won't have another with dews because their older 2, unrelated yellows out of Guide Dog would start to bleed if they so much as came over to play in my field w/ my gang. I've had one years ago who I bred, had my old vet remove (cutting method, not forceps), and apparently left a piece. That dog snagged that bit several times while hunting, so that was a PITA too.

I sincerely think it "depends". Maybe on where you live, the conditions the dogs live/hunt under, etc. And to be totally honest, I was not impressed the least w/ the Golden video the first time I saw it. I saw overweight or old Goldens that were put at risk on thin ice, thankfully shallow waters, and thought it was nothing but a set up. I don't allow my dogs out in conditions like that personally. And my dogs CAN and do climb steep canal banks, scale trees etc, downed in the water and yes, they can still hold their Nylabones in their "thumbless" paws. Off is my choice.... mileage obviously varies on the subject matter.

Junior Member Sundance Retrievers's Avatar

I have always removed them

Mine are removed at 3 days of age. People expect it, as do I If I was buying a pup.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

And,, to the poster who said that us "field" people, supposedly have seen torn dewclaws( because our field dogs have had them off- cant understand how we would see it). Some of us have more than just our own dogs-I have a kennel and see lots of dogs whos dewclaws are more trouble then theyre worth.
    I have steep banks up and down the creek here-all of my dogs (except the old ladies), can get up the steep slippery banks, without their dews.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

My next dog will have dewclaws. I say leave them on.

I remove them, some people are moving away from it, I think it's preference.

Over two thousand gundogs and field trial dogs trained over the past 45 years
    Over 100 disaster search dogs trained over the past 10 years plus numberous USAR deployments over the past 10 years

Of that total sample I have had 10 to 15 dogs injure toe nails.

Of that total sample I have never had a dog with a dew claw injury.
    Robert Milner
    www.DuckhillKennels.com

"When he stood up to speak, battalions of words issued forth from his mouth and scoured the countryside in search of an idea, and when they found one, they swiftly and thoroughly beat it to death." ---- -Anonymous