The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good posture

Default Good posture

Is there a way to enforce good sitting posture in a puppy? I'd like my girl to to sit up straight while training with feet right under her butt. Some times she sits sloppy, just a pup, is this something I should be working on now?

Just keep making her sit up when she sits sloppy and it becomes a habit. More excitement helps too. Sloppy sitters are often pretty bored dogs. Rarely see a dog sit sloppy when there is action and feathers

How is your dog?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Easy one, when you're working on your sit behavior using treats, pull your treat slightly forward and only reward the correct position.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    How is your dog?
    She is 11 weeks. She is very young that's why I wasn't sure if it's too young to train posture.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Easy one, when you're working on your sit behavior using treats, pull your treat slightly forward and only reward the correct position.
    That would bring me to another question, I've heard mixed reviews on treat training. I've been told don't give treats because it's essentially their job to obey and should reward with lots of praise so they aren't expecting treats in the blind when they are older.

Do nothing about lazy sit at this age. Treat training at this age is fine. I highly recommend it. Buy Jackie Merten's DVD Sound Beginnings. It is really inexpensive and will help you a lot with a very young puppy.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Do nothing about lazy sit at this age. Treat training at this age is fine. I highly recommend it. Buy Jackie Merten's DVD Sound Beginnings. It is really inexpensive and will help you a lot with a very young puppy.
    Thanks for the input Wayne

An off-center sit on one hip is pretty normal for puppies. At around 6 months, when you start teaching heel, sit, and here in a more serious way, you'll want to start working on a correct sit. We tell our dogs to "sit big," which is short for sit like a big dog. Just pull up on the lead slightly, and you can nudge with your foot if you have to (gently! it's not kicking) to get the idea across. It won't take long for pup to get the idea. Sometimes I step in front of the pup,grasp the collar on both sides of the neck and pull them straight with the same command.
    Once pup starts getting excited about retrieving, you won't see any more sloppy sits.
    Pam
    Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Quote Originally Posted by willidru View Post
    That would bring me to another question, I've heard mixed reviews on treat training. I've been told don't give treats because it's essentially their job to obey and should reward with lots of praise so they aren't expecting treats in the blind when they are older.
    Cough Cough... bullshirt...

They won't be looking for treats in the blind, they'll be looking for birds.

No point in dealing with it at 6 mos, just teach it right now...

Sit = erect position, all four paws on the floor, eyes on me, tail still...

Make that the standard from the beginning and it will be the standard forever. You'll thank yourself for taking a little extra time now.

If you start em out right they are a lot easier to deal with later. It's just less stuff you have to work through when you're trying to get your yard work done.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 01-19-2014 at 06:06 PM.
    Darrin Greene