The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good posture

Agree with Darrin. Treats are for teaching the desired behaviors, or the commands you want them to obey later.

Use treats to associate a behavior with a word - the best example is sit - and start to create a habit where they sit when you use the word in expectation of something good - the treat. Then only give them the treat intermittently, which is the best enforcer of the habit, and then you can begin to wean them off treats altogether and expect compliance with just the command. If you are so inclined, you could then use the collar or other pressure to enforce the sit command that you have taught to fully habituate it, but only after you are sure you have taught it and your dog knows what you want when you give the command. And I wish I would have fully understood what I just said about 2 years ago.

Good luck with your pup.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

I absolutely agree with Darrin. Treats are THE way to work with a young puppy. All of their interactions with you ought to be happy, happy, happy. You are building the foundation for everything to come. Also, I would never again wait until 6 months or any other age before establishing proper basic behaviors, like sit, here, quiet, leave it, etc. They can all be taught in a happy playful manner and you won't have a lot of crap to undo later when you get ready for more formal training. I know from personal experience . Look at some of the stuff Steve Shaver (on this board) does with his 11 week old pups!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post

Sit = erect position, all four paws on the floor, eyes on me, tail still...

Make that the standard from the beginning and it will be the standard forever. You'll thank yourself for taking a little extra time now.
    You don't let them wag their tails!?
    Wow, my standards must be slacked because The last thing I would care about is a wagging tail.
    Last edited by Marissa E.; 01-20-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa E. View Post
    Wow, my standards must be slacked because The last thing I would care about is a wagging tail.
    You want to teach them to relax in sit position and go passive...

It doesn't start out this way... in the beginning an excited puppy is a good puppy. that helps get lots of reps in on a behavior...

later on I will get them in sit position and then wait wait wait for the tail to stop... then reward

if you're good at timing you can get that to be a consistent part of the behavior.

the higher your "standard" is (I don't call it a standard at this stage because it's not "enforced") the less trouble you have later.

believe me their tail is still wagging at the line later on, no getting rid of THAT level of excitement, but the more you teach a young pup to be relaxed and passive in an exciting situation, the less problems you run into later

this is evidenced in my world, BTW in pet dogs who, if taught to keep their paws on the floor and approach people in a relaxed manner, are much more successful and get many fewer corrections in adolescence

I try to do everything I can to help a puppy avoid all the knees in chest, whacks in the head and so forth later
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa E. View Post
    I want a wagging tail. I want happy workers. They can be taught to contain their emotions. I know some OTCH obedience dogs whose tails always wag... they are a joy to watch.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by willidru View Post
    Is there a way to enforce good sitting posture in a puppy? I'd like my girl to to sit up straight while training with feet right under her butt. Some times she sits sloppy, just a pup, is this something I should be working on now?
    An easy way is to practice sits along a fence line or a hallway. They usually kick out one leg more than the other. Put that side towards the wall. use treats for puppies... be the human Pez dispenser. Lots of small treats the size of a pencil eraser.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by willidru View Post
    That would bring me to another question, I've heard mixed reviews on treat training. I've been told don't give treats because it's essentially their job to obey and should reward with lots of praise so they aren't expecting treats in the blind when they are older.
    Later on, they won't even care about treats in the holding blind... WHen I was running FC Honor in a Junior Hunt Test (I titled him before Andy Attar did ), I had a treat in my pocket. He always ran like a raped ape.... I offered him a treat, and he spit it on the ground, and I swear he stomped on it on purpose! "Treat, treat! I don't want a stupid treat! There are BIRDS out there!" As your pup gets a little older, he won't care about the treats when he is in the holding blind. He will totally understand why he is there.
    Susan

So, I have a question (rhetorical, of course): Why is it a dog won't take a treat while in the holding blind, but will steal the judge's sandwich while "heeling" to the line?

Proud owner of a sandwich thief (more than once, too - God I miss that knucklehead),

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

For the lazy/sloppy sit, reach down and grab the loose skin on the sloppy side thigh and pull it up with a gentle but firm tug (not much of any strength needed)...kinda like pulling a blanket out from under him. Pup will correct himself. Re-issue the "sit" command and praise. Been working well with my 14 wk old.
    Last edited by Clebba; 01-21-2014 at 02:27 PM.

I have never used treats with my puppies in the past, but I will likely use them in the future. What do you typically use for treats?
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg