The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Retriever club questions

Default Retriever club questions

Hello everyone, I am looking to joing a club to progress in training. Pup is a meat dog but I am thinking of running HRC in the off season for fun and I think training with a group could help us progress. Question is I see some clubs are AKC member or licensed and others are HRC.

I really just need feed back on clubs as I don't have any idea how it all works. Also if you have any recommendations on clubs in the SF Bay Area or Sacramento ca area would be much appreciated.

thanks,
    Shayne

Shayne,

I can't help you out with those locations as I am a long ways aways from CA.

Regarding the type of club, any hunt test club will benefit you. Everyone is usually very good at helping you to be successful. There are differences between AKC, HRC and NAHRA, but nothing a little research can't iron out. My club is primarily affiliated with AKC but I run all three. The people I have trained with are also willing to change things up too (walk-ups, remote sends, singles, multiples, sit to flush, run from a layout blind, etc.).

Good luck, and be prepared for an new obsession!
    Jeff Brezee

HR MHR Brezee Oak's Brother Bear MH "Bear"
    Brezee Oak's Keep to the Code SH "Jasmine"

As mentioned, getting involved with a club from either organization will put you in contact with lots of dog folks. Unfortunately here on the left edge HRC is pretty scarce- especially in Kalifornia (which is odd since both groups are real fond of playing dress up?). Surf up Entry Express https://www.entryexpress.net/ and search around some. The event premiums usually have contact information for at least some of the club members and dates/locations for any events upcoming.

Trying to help out in the worst way regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Thank you guys far all of the info, I appreciate it. I'm researching and talking with my trainer as well so I can make an informed decision.

If you can find a club website or speak with members, try to find out just how active the club is. Do they hold monthly training days? Mock tests? Do they own or lease training grounds?

Many clubs are quite active and supportive, while others exist only to put on one or two trials/tests per year. Know what you're getting into beforehand.

The only HRC club in your area is Sac-Valley HRC, Good group of people, pretty active. Otherwise the more HRC active clubs are in Washington or So-Cal. Of course being HRC and hunting season; not very many are "active" right now, this will change in Feb.-March. There are many AKC clubs in that area, Sagehen's is probably the closest (they hold events and are pretty active), Also a bit south Monterrey Bay, Hills Ferry, Perhaps Central Coast (this is a NAHRA-AKC club, pretty active); all are good people and all train dogs. All can help you train for your goals. All will get you enough experience to begin running the lower stake tests, in any venue. As you get more advanced in your training; if you want to run HRC you should get involved with an HRC group, there are differences you'll need to train for, none of the other venues use the gun or poppers; you usually won't get such exposure in another group. Unless of course you step up and volunteer to run a club training day, done in the HRC style.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-21-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Flush View Post
    Thank you guys far all of the info, I appreciate it. I'm researching and talking with my trainer as well so I can make an informed decision.
    Bear in mind that (at least around here) being a member of a retriever club doesn't involve blood oaths, brands or wearing funny hats and driving around parades in little cars, so it isn't something you need to worry too much about. It usually costs $25 or $30 per year. Visit a couple, join a couple. I am a member of several, some in which I am active and some I just send a check every year. They all have some value and while all prefer active members, he latter ones haven't told me to stop sending checks.

DoubleHaul hit the nail on the head.

Join a couple and jump right in. You will have fun, if not, buy a bowling ball or a set of golf clubs.

I am a member of 2 different clubs. Since joining these clubs I have learned to throw ducks and half-way keep up with the running order on a clipboard.

You will meet lots of new friends and have loads of fun. Just get out there and get involved.

L Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).