The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTP question

Default FTP question

I am a first timer at training a retreiver and I am currently following the lardy program. I am at FTP and I think my dog is taking to it quite good. I have been through a couple sessions of remote sends and started sending her from my side as well with plenty of "freebees". The question I have is when sending her remotely she really wants to leave early, before I can even give her the back cast, either left or right. I am assuming to she wants to leave early to beat the force. The question I have is, is this the reaction I want to see from my dog? Does this mean she is getting the point? The first time she left early I let her do it and gave her the back command on the way to the pile. The second time I called her to me, sat her and then proceeded to gave her the cast. I don't want her to get confused on what I want her to do, espesically if we are at the point where she is understanding FTP. She doesnt seem to have any problems with bugging, shopping or flaring and she is driving hard to the pile. For a first timer, what I looking for in the dog to know she is ready to move on to T work?

I should also say that from my side she hasnt had any problems leaving early.

That's not an unusual thing to have happen at this stage. The forcing process really should focus the dog on going...intensify them. Breaking is not just a result of the expectation of being forced, but also that the dog will have found going so rewarding by now that they become even more eager than in their untrained condition. Be patient about settling it down, but by all means do address it.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Someone with more experience will be along to answer your question shortly I'm sure. I assume you already did stick to pile and are referring to the use of a collar for the pressure avoidance your dog is displaying. You are stiving for compulsion on the dogs part to get to that pile in FTP. It sounds as though you are achieving that. How long have you been doing this FTP drill now?
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Freeze - 4 or 5 sessions. Yes, i am now on collar FTP.

Evan- How do you recommend addressing it.

How many sesssions does it typically take to achieve the results we want from FTP? In brief, what are the results I am looking for to move forward from FTP?

Thanks for the responses!

I had this similar response with my dog that I completed recently. Make them start to wait for the commands, whatever you are using, I use dead bird - good (looking in right direction) then Back. They are either jumping the pressure or eager to get the next bumper. Slow down, let them look and think, once settled down then send. This patience will be needed when you go to lining drills. Good luck.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP 2014 Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    RIP 2012 Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
    "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."

Sometimes after stick to the pile I have to put them on a check cord to make them stay in a front sit position until cast.
    The end point of FTP for me is a good snappy sit two or three times in route to the pile with one of the sits right on top of the pile. No loopy sits allowed.http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...28by+Pirate%29

Are you following a training program?
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 01-21-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Brakke View Post
    I had this similar response with my dog that I completed recently. Make them start to wait for the commands, whatever you are using, I use dead bird - good (looking in right direction) then Back. They are either jumping the pressure or eager to get the next bumper. Slow down, let them look and think, once settled down then send. This patience will be needed when you go to lining drills. Good luck.
    There will be others that will comment, but if you give the command "dead bird" and he gets up to go, reinforce the "sit" command, until you are ready to say "back". No jumping the gun and driving the ship!!!Like this fellow says slow down! Good luck!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I would rather have a dog that is charged up and ready to go than to have a dog that is unsure. Remember the long standing rule. "sit means sit".
    We can work on this at our next training session. The Lardy program you are following takes time and will fall in place. It is sometimes difficult to know when to move on. You are asking the right questions, keep up the training and it will come. An old pro told me once "sometimes you have to create a problem to solve a problem".
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by Saxxx011 View Post
    Freeze - 4 or 5 sessions. Yes, i am now on collar FTP.

Evan- How do you recommend addressing it.

How many sesssions does it typically take to achieve the results we want from FTP? In brief, what are the results I am looking for to move forward from FTP?

Thanks for the responses!
    Use "sit" the instant she breaks. What I'm suggesting is that you don't get in a hurry about pressure. You risk turning a small issue into a worse and confusing no-go problem. Require her to wait just a bit longer each time -gradually extending her concentration.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile