The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Help marking while hunting?

Default Help marking while hunting?

Ok, so my lab is on his 2 season and has many retrieves under his belt. But, at the end of this season he started not marking falls as well and waits to be sent on a blind then looks back at me to be casted. If we are hunting in open water with no vegetation he does much better. But, if there is any vegetation like grass and lilly pads he just waits for the blind. Any ideas what I can do to break this? Im assuming more marks. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Certainly not an expert but, I would think more simple marks to build his confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by H.fairhurst View Post
    Certainly not an expert but, I would think more simple marks to build his confidence.
    This is a good start, and... I would suspect you've been handling him too muchor too quickly on marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad B View Post
    I would suspect you've been handling him too much or too quickly on marks.
    This was my thought also ...... throw a rock to get him to go if you have to and encourage him to hunt em up..... only handle if you absolutely have to and then I might just give him the cast to get him in the area...
    This spring you need to work on marking in training
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Throwing a rock will just cover the problem and then he'll expect you to throw a rock just like he's expecting to be handled. Put the responsibility on the dog and make him do his work. For my dogs, a strong "Mark" then a send, if they still don't get it resort to the the word Fetch.

I do not have dogs no go but have noticed mine popping. This is mostly a problem I have caused. May or not be the case with you. When hunting I want the duck in the blind fast, so we can shoot more. If I know where the duck fell, I am going to blow a whistle & put the dog on the bird. Therefore if in question the dog will turn & look back. I reinforce the behavior by giving a cast to the bird.

Asking a dog to mark in a hunting situation is tough. Number one we usually put the dog in cover. Often in a hide which obstructs their view. We run a lot of blinds in a hunting situation & the dogs learn what to expect. Even with ducks the dog should see, the ducks come in flocks. The dog may or may not be watching the birds you shoot.

My advice is to take the dog hunting by yourself. Limit your shots to ducks in the decoys. Don't handle. If you have cripples, shoot them again.
    Mark Land

I am talking in a hunting situation , not a training situation. Yes a FETCH is appropriate (assuming the dog was appropriately FF'd and into water at that....) but you STILL have to get him to go....and it might not be about force ...possibly a combination of remarking the bird and forcing, possibly just as easy as remarking the bird and releasing the dog....handler should try the least pressure possible to start and go up from there
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

I wish that I could help but I don't have the problem that you are having. My dog has been conditioned to lots of horrible calling, lots and lots, and lots of shooting and very few birds falling. When he hears a splash he is ready to swim to the next County.

L Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    I do not have dogs no go but have noticed mine popping. This is mostly a problem I have caused. May or not be the case with you. When hunting I want the duck in the blind fast, so we can shoot more. If I know where the duck fell, I am going to blow a whistle & put the dog on the bird. Therefore if in question the dog will turn & look back. I reinforce the behavior by giving a cast to the bird.

Asking a dog to mark in a hunting situation is tough. Number one we usually put the dog in cover. Often in a hide which obstructs their view. We run a lot of blinds in a hunting situation & the dogs learn what to expect. Even with ducks the dog should see, the ducks come in flocks. The dog may or may not be watching the birds you shoot.

My advice is to take the dog hunting by yourself. Limit your shots to ducks in the decoys. Don't handle. If you have cripples, shoot them again.
    Good advice. This is the problem I'm having. Most of the retreives are blinds and I think he relies on me to handle him. He always goes but turns to look at me. If the ducks right in line he usually retreives it easily. I'm just trying to clean it up so I get him back in the blind quickly. During training he's an excellent marker. I think I need more dummy throwers to mimic a realistic hunting situation.

well that makes it easier...as you see him getting ready to pop, yell out a verbal "back" before he actually turns to look at you . Read his mind
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors