RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Who takes their dog big game hunting with them?

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  dr_dog_guy 
#1 ·
Lets change this up a little around here.
Trap is going on his second oryx hunt this weekend.
Haven't drawn anything else, but he would go with me on any and all hunting trips.
He got to only watch from the vehicle last year as I ddint want any screw up's and possibly have a skewered dog.
But deer, elk, coyotes, etc, he'll be right there.

#4 ·
Mine go to camp with me, they don't actually hunt, but they hang around camp and are there for the company.

#8 ·
I'd love to take my dog big game hunting with us. However there's no accounting for the idiots in Deer Camp, (aka my relatives) who choose to shoot high powered rifles in camp for no discernible reason; over an unsuspecting 10mt old pup; and soured her on guns for the rest of her life. As I shall never be able to control idiots particularly the ones I'm related too; No dogs in deer camp for me, it's Ok they get a few weeks with the trainer while I'm gone and guilt me into a duck-goose trip once I get back ;).

#13 ·
I'd love to take my dog big game hunting with us. However there's no accounting for the idiots in Deer Camp, (aka my relatives) who choose to shoot high powered rifles in camp for no discernible reason; over an unsuspecting 10mt old pup; and soured her on guns for the rest of her life. As I shall never be able to control idiots particularly the ones I'm related too; No dogs in deer camp for me, it's Ok they get a few weeks with the trainer while I'm gone and guilt me into a duck-goose trip once I get back ;).[/QUOTnesE]

Wow that defines the meaning of "choose your friends carefully because you can't chose your family". This post is shocking never had a problem personally when I explain to my campmates that I have a young dog and if they are going to shoot let me remove my dog from the scene.

#10 ·
You're right about getting skewered, Mark. Oryx, Sable, and Zebra are notorious dog killers in Africa. Both Oryx and Sable occasionally kill lions, so keep him in the truck till the oryx is down and dead. Its the wounded ones that kill you. Or just give him to me; he'll fit right in.

Isn't it illegal in NM to have a dog while hunting big game? Even if the dog is only acting as a companion, the game warden might not see it that way. I've used my guys to track elk while scouting, but always left them home when hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.