The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to deal with ticks

Default How to deal with ticks

I didn't want to hijack the other thread on Lyme Disease but thought I might give some advice as to what I do to minimize exposure to ticks.

1) I tape my pants legs to my ankles to prevent them from crawling underneath my pants legs.
    2) I spray up and I spray up more. I have chosen to deal with chemicals in repellents rather than deal with the possibility of hidden ticks and their bites.
    3) My shirt gets tucked into my pants.
    4) If my pants are not sprayed with Duranon, I will spray several times with insect repellent.
    5) I spray my shirt with insect repellent.
    6) I carry a premise spray in the car. I spray the car with premise spray.
    7) I wear khaki colored Dickie pants (Chinos) when I can. It helps you spot the ticks.
    8) I never wear shorts in the field.
    9) If I am wearing Wellingtons, I tuck my pants into the boots.
    10) When I get back home, I take my gear and put it into a contractor bag. I then spray the premise spray into the bag and seal it.
    11) I have somebody check me when I get home.
    12) I carry Duct Tape. I tape my pants legs with it and have discovered ticks trapped in the adhesive of the tape when I peel it off.
    13) I have used the Duct Tape to help someone remove the nymphs after she stepped into a nest of them. She was wearing shorts. It worked quite well.

Long Island has a lot of ticks but for sure I have minimized my exposure by doing the above.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Seems like a lot.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

we have ticks pretty bad here during turkey season. I might try the duct tape on the ankles deal for walking in. The bigger ticks aren't too bad but there is nothing worse than finding out the spot you sit down to call in a spring gobbler was a bed of seed ticks. You find those little dudes for days and by the time you find em all it looks like you had a case of the chicken pox

Wayne, it is a lot but our reputation for ticks is not a good one. There are really lots of ticks out there. And there are plenty of TBDs here. I know I do a lot but in all honesty I don't get any ticks when I do this. The 2x I got ticks was when I got careless.

I have several friends that have had Lyme Disease.

Have you tried - Sawyer Clothing Permethrin Military Soak - lasts for 6-7 weeks and/or 6-7 washings

I found that permethrin works well as a tick repellant. I was going to go through a field of tall grass with a buddy in a tick infested area and had some dog permethrin spray. I sprayed my clothing and he did not. Long story short I had no ticks on me and he had over a dozen.

good advice. lots of trouble. sort like wearing a hazmat suit.

Quote Originally Posted by forhair View Post
    good advice. lots of trouble. sort like wearing a hazmat suit.
    You are right but on the other hand I am not getting any tick bites. I am amazed at how well my measures have worked.

I am hoping that many will benefit from the advice and will not avoid the field because of the ticks. I can't tell you how many times I have heard "I would come out but, ooh, the ticks!".

Quote Originally Posted by terrax View Post
    Have you tried - Sawyer Clothing Permethrin Military Soak - lasts for 6-7 weeks and/or 6-7 washings

I found that permethrin works well as a tick repellant. I was going to go through a field of tall grass with a buddy in a tick infested area and had some dog permethrin spray. I sprayed my clothing and he did not. Long story short I had no ticks on me and he had over a dozen.
    Sawyer is great and can be bought thru Amazon...Stuff works

I can tell you all first hand (unfortunately) that GDNYC is NOT overstating the problem! Some years it's like you are in a horror movie out there.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I had a judging assignment out there in April and got into a nest of nymphs. She was extracting them from my body parts where only someone you totally trust with tweezers should be.....
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Been to Long Island qand it is a horror movie. Hell I was taking my pants off at the car and going crazy getting ticks off me.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)